1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Digital distributors boycott MW2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Nov 2009.

1. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

+1

2. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Most PC game EULA's forbid the game from being sold on by the original buyer anyway - you are essentially paying for a license to use the software, not to own it. As you don't own it you can't sell it. This is why retailers like Game don't handle used PC games.

3. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

GOOD! I like steam but im sorry IW you put the final nails in, no dedicated server and now 18 play mp only. 3 words "GO F**K Yourselfs!"

4. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

someone needs to summarize who isn't boycotting this game. It might be a shorter list at this point.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

WAIT? I have to run steam to play MW2? OH HELL NO.

I was going to pirate MW2 anyway, but if I have to run Steam to play it, then I just ain't gonna bother.

6. Matticus

Matticus ...

Does nobody else think that this is bad news for PC gaming as a whole, yes IW are getting what they had coming to them. But is this not going to say to other companies that PC gaming is a hassle and they might as well just shoot straight for the consoles?

Hopefully I am wrong and other developers are going to learn from IWs mistakes.

Mankz, why the steam hate?

7. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

To be honest, Valve should split steam off into a seperate company, the longer they leave it, the bigger the fine they pay will be when they get hit with an anti-competition lawsuit.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I can't run Steam at school, even in offline mode, so no MW2 while here.... :(

This game is getting worse as the days go by. In my eyes its gone from one of the most wanted games of recent times into **** up after **** up. I can't wait to see Joes review of it.

9. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Natural Selection II is going to use steamworks and many saw that as an "advantage"...

10. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

Steam allows you to play anywhere, you dont need to on YOUR own computer and be locked to DRM on THAT computer and have only 5 installs limit!, steam allows you to take you games to your friends computer and play there, much like email, you can use it everywhere

Steam is you friend, heck i can play all my steam games on all the computers in house and at my friends house no matter, heck i just need a modern pc with a ATI or NVIDIA graphics to play, dont bother with intel crapstics :p

buy Mass Effect for 50% off and try for your self, you can even backup the games to harddrive, DVD9 or DVD5 discs
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/17460/

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We'll be reviewing the game, not how it's delivered. I think it's pretty much a given that, for the vast majority of users, Steam is an awesome and very beneficial service, although for that tiny portion of users who don't have reliable internet access it does of course become an issue. As the single player will be for the most part unaltered by the all the grumbling around MW2, I can't imagine it'll be a "bad" game.

When it comes to the multiplayer though, we'll be paying plenty of attention to IWnet and whether it's a passable attempt at moving away from the dedi server structure, or just a buggy lagfest. We're not going to slam the game on the basis of IW's choices alone, and will give it the benefit of the doubt before grabbing the flaming pitchforks.

Additionally, all those who reply "I'll just pirate the game - that'll teach em!" - how in hell does this help the PC Gaming cause, of which your support has been so vocal? If you don't like the changes, just don't play the game. Don't add your torrent download to the inevitable "look at how many PC users pirated MW2" list and further move PC gaming closer to the edge. To paraphrase an awesome man, "We're on the raggedy edge here," and PC Gaming needs all the support and levelheaded users it can get, not angry teenagers justifying stealing a game.

12. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

another boycott. how fun.

Is this a new trend? First people hating on Valve because they make a sequel, then people (actually just one) hating on Valve because they got this DD thing called Steam and they are exploiting indie developers supposedly. Guess we will see more of this.

Bring on more of this. It's entertainment you can't pay for.

13. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

^^ Epic win

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Most EULA's aren't worth the magnetic energy used to store them as they could not be enforced in court since they use language inappropriate for the intended audience and most of the time represent and unfair contract in that you've effectively agreed to it before you get to read it since you can't return an opened package.

Besides that game does deal in used pc games through its game station brand.

Your buying a licence and you are free to sell that licence on in the UK.

15. iggy

iggy Minimodder

well said.

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

So don't push me, and i won't push you.

Hopefully the game has very very low piracy rates, combined with even lower sales, just to show how strongly people dislike the idea of no dedicated servers.

17. Mix

Mix What's a Dremel?

I for one welcome the Steam trojan. lol Their system is well done, much better than those other services.

18. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Yeah this maybe be a little retarded but they wont lose out not many will buy this POS.

I cant blame a company for trying to increase there rivals market share...

19. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

They are clearly not thinking straight.

If you buy a game from these digital distributors all you are doing is purchasing a CD Key. You download Steam, create an account, enter you CD key, download the game, and voila. That's it. No money goes to Valve at all. All they get in return is free advertising and the chance for new Steam users to come back and start purchasing from their service.

It's no different then the likes of GFWL but - let's face it - Steam is undeniably the most popular digital distribution platform so it makes sense for Activision to use it for MW2 when a huge amount of PC gamers already own a Steam account.

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sooo... they're not willing to sell a competitor's product? How come?

Tags: Add Tags