1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Digital distributors boycott MW2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Nov 2009.

1. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Most? other than digitally downloaded games and MMOs, i can't find one that says you can't. The EULA I'm looking at say that you may transfer the game but you must

- Completely uninstall all copies you own.
    - Relinquish serials, keys, and associated physical media

2. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

So, instead of making a sale and 'possibly' losing their customer to steam, they're going to refuse the sale and force their customers to buy off steam anyway. How fantastically retarded.

3. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

COD4 manual, page 11:

Same story for FEAR on page 26...
    Same for Clear Sky on page 20...
    but with different companies in the license. It seems to be of a standard wording used by everything I have to hand around here.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Personally I like steam and the way it works but there is one major problem I've found, it's a complete gamble whether or not it will actually work on a persons machine or not. For example I currently have XP and windows 7 with steam on both and on XP it's a toss up between steam deciding to start or not start at all, it'll just lay idle in the ram doing nothing sitting at about 13mb after double clicking and no amount of restarting the process helps, most of the time I'm forced to delete steam.dll and stuff so that it'll fetch a new copy then eventually boot up after about 20 minutes downloading a small file (seriously what's up with steam update speeds?) even then I'm not guaranteed that it'll work when it's finished. Whereas on my windows 7 partition it usually just works everytime which is nice and all but no amount of googling has ever actually helped me find out why sometimes it just works and sometimes it just doesn't, complete pain in the arse really. What about the people who suffer problems like mine? I know I'm not the only one as google has shown me, for people who it just never works for that bought the game usually they have to end up pirating it just to have a copy they can play whenever they want.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bad mouthing steam because when it works I like it especially with it's xfire style in-game chat but when it's not it's a ******* to fix :sigh:

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Hell, I've been avoiding Steam on the basis that it's a trojan for years. What's new?

6. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

Steam as a digital distribution itself is fine. What is wrong is them using it as DRM. What is wrong for me is getting an average ping of 32 to 142.

7. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

ROFL, trojan horse what idiots, they could just say that they don't want to sell something that helps their competitor but you know spreading FUD is all the rage these days.

8. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Haven't you just described almost every piece of software out there? Software doesn't work as it should for everyone. For everyone person with a complaint about it not working, there's another person to say "it works fine for me".

So yeah, steam works fine for me, over the last 5 years, I've installed steam hundreds of times on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, there's never been an issue with it.

In fact, on my main PC, I've had the same steam folder for about 5 years, I've got it on a drive that's separate to windows, the steam folder itself has been moved across about 6 hard drives, and each time I just have to install steam to where the old installation is and it picks up all my games as soon as I log in.

Though the point of my comment isn't to prove you wrong, it's to highlight that your experience with steam is your own, same with my experience, it's not a reflection on the other 99.9999% of steam users out there.

I think steam's great, I try to get all my games on steam unless they're cheaper in the store, for the case of Valve's own games, I'll buy them in the store and then just use the serial with steam. I've never used my left for dead disc yet. :p

9. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I used to like steam. When I moved, I was a few weeks without internet and guess what - Steam wouldn't even let me start in offline mode because I spent too long without logging in. And I PAYED for the damn games.

Never again will I buy on Steam. Afterall, Steam = DRM with a few perks (unless you're blind).

10. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

This is more about Steam being favored and feeling slighted by Activision and Infinity Ward, then it is about stopping "you" from downloading a "trojan horse" on your PC! I bet if "their" trojan horse was included they'd be all for it. I don't think they would even call it that either. Boycotting the game is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

11. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

so does this mean you need to install steam to run it. Get your steam account banned for no reason then be unable to play the game again.

Steams policys are vague and due to way they operate your not actually buying game just renting it at steams discretion

Tags: Add Tags