1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Dipping a toe in the Ryzen pool

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 27 Jun 2020.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If my clear out goes well, I'm looking to try an inexpensive foray into Ryzen.

It's the affordable CPU I'm not sure about. Would prefer used.

I'd probably go, (unusually for me), for an mATX board, as that's my current project format.

I think the Asrock B450M Steel Legend is the one for me, despite all the praise for the MSI B450M Mortar Max.

The Mortar has one feature that puts me right off it.

If you use both M.2 slots, you lose the lowest (4x) PCIe slot, which makes it a pain, as I may as well go ITX for a 16x and the paltry 1x.

If I've read it right, the Steel Legend loses a SATA port when both M.2 slots are in use. I'm happy with that as I want to go M.2 only.

I like to buy used these days, but will buy a new board for peace of mind. They couple I've seen used went for £15 off new, not a decent saving IMHO.

What would you suggest to go with it for starters? I assume that Zen CPUS are too old and wobbly, so it's Zen +

I'd want performance comparable to an i5 6500.

I'd be happy to go hex core later on, once the project is running OK.

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Active Member

Are there any features you need - no. of cores, on board graphics, etc? And how affordable do you want to go?

New options: The Athlon 3000G (2C/4T vega 3) is £45, a 3200G (4C/4T vega 8) is £80, 3100X (4C/8T no vega) is about £100. For the same price you can get a 1600AF (6C/12T no Vega). They’re all Zen+ apart from the 3100X.

Second hand, you might not save that much looking at completed listings on a well known auction site, a 2200G (4C/4T Vega 8) sells for about £50 or so, a 2400G (4C/8T Vega 11) around £70-80 and a 2600 (6C/12T no vega) around £90-100.

3. Arboreal

Thanks @BeauchN, I had completely forgotten about the budget Athlon option!

I had also forgotten that IGP isn't a given with Ryzen...my plan is to use it with a GPU and maybe add it to the folding selection.

The 1600AF has been well received, along with the 3100 and 3300X, which make an interesting triplet to decide between.

A 'G' could be handy for GPUless operation, I'll have to think further.

Your commentary on used CPUs is insightful, I'll have to be really careful with pricing, making sure there is a reasonable saving on the new cost.

Last week, a B450M SL sold for £77 inc p&p online, Scan have them at £88, and we get free shipping; so not worth the minimal saving vs a new one with a full warranty.

4. BeauchN

BeauchN Active Member

There was the Athlon 220GE on the Bay, but at £40 I figured it wasn’t worth mentioning vs the 3000G for £5 more new.

if all you’re doing is feeding F@H wok units to a GPU, the Athlon should do it, at least to play with.

EDIT: though looking at the Bay, lots of CPUs are listed for as much as, or more than, you can buy them new, I’ve never figured that out!

5. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I think the M2 slots are 1 NVMe and 1 Sata rather than 2 NVMe, you would need an add in card for more NVMe.

On the cheap side I can definitely recommend the lower end Asrock as that what I have, with respect to chips you have so much choice. depending on your requirements I have been very pleased with the 2400G despite only being a zen core, not a lot between zen and zen+ in reality.

All depends what you ultimately want to do with the system.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Arboreal

@sandys Thanks for the thumbs for Asrock, I've never had one of their boards; so thought I'd try them.

The M.2 situation is fine as I have one NVMe and 1 SATA drive, plus a Silverstone 4x PCIe card that adds another of each at the expense of using a SATA cable for one of them :eek:

I want to dabble with Ryzen initially, and add a mid range GPU (Thinking GTX 1060/6 or RX 570) and if I really like my mATX case, will go higher end to replace my ITX H370/i5 8400 setup.