1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Direct2Drive sold to Gamefly

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by spectre456, 25 May 2011.

1. spectre456

spectre456 New Member

Title says it all. Game-fly purchased Direct2Drive from IGN. The full story is Here.

Just wondering what you guys think of the situation. I actually own quite a few games on D2D and i'm currently wondering what would happen. Of course it's unlikely that gamefly would just shut it down but this situation just shows how vulnerable some of these DD outlets are. thoughts?

2. Whirly

Whirly New Member

All of the download services are vulnerable no matter what assurances they give.

Companies are bought and sold and new owners may have a totally different plan than the old ones.

Having said that, every transaction carries risk for those involved. Even banks have been known to fail leaving their customers out of pocket.

3. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy New Member

Better make sure you have your games downloaded and your CD keys archived.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

Just shows that competing against Steam is impossible.

5. spectre456

spectre456 New Member

They've been around for as long as steam and offer some great deals as well from time to time. Competition is always good.

I think steam is only great because there are no suits who make the important decisions. Gabe and co. are regular gamers like us who tend to see things at our level. Hence the reason why we get awesome sales and the fact that Steamworks is free for developers I'm pretty sure that if Microsoft ran steam (god forbid) then, well just look at GFWL.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

I didn't say that competition was bad or D2D didn't offer good services. The issue is that IGN obviously felt that going up against Steam was extremely difficult and were happy to sell.

7. spectre456

spectre456 New Member

I never said you did. i was merely saying that even though it may be "impossible" to compete with Steam, competition is always good for the end-user.