1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX 11.1 not coming to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Nov 2012.

1. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I hope OpenGL catches up because of this piss poor decision.

2. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

But it's been doing that since forever. Like I said, I already have some great looking dx9 games. They can keep increasing the number all they want but unless it some day provides a revolutionary jump in quality, it's not enough to make me upgrade my windows.

3. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Next time I go to a buddy's house, I'll take a first hand look at Windows 8, but for the moment, I'm not willing to update my primary gaming rig just for a look. If I think its worth a second look after trying it out, I might install it on one of my backup machines before I make a final decision. I can't really knock it since I haven't tried it yet, but at least in appearance, it's quite a change from Win7.

4. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Good luck with that - let's check back in in, oh, 15 years and see how that's worked out for you.

on topic - meh, it could be 20 years before I run out of perfectly lovely dx9 games. I think I own a grand total of 1 dx11 game, which also has a dx9 exe (Civ 5).

5. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Ive been using Full release Win 8 since Friday.... Its not THAT confusing!

I've installed a free app called Classic Shell which gives me the Start button back.
    To be honest, you forget that the Metro UI is there.
    Have to say when more more native Win8 apps come around Im looking forward to using the Metro side more.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Not really W8 experience, then.
    "I dont find W8 "that confusing", I installed a program to "unconfuse" it." :hehe:

As for DX11.1 exclusivity, its an error from Microsoft. It should make sure the largest user base had the newest DX version.

PS:

azrael- likes this.
  7. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

No way I'll use win8 only because of this!

8. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

I've noticed a flurry of obnoxious, unenlightening comments from people who seem to want everyone to know about how they're refusing to upgrade to Windows 8.

I'm here to join them. F**k Windows 8.

impar likes this.
  9. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

And in other news, steam is coming to linux, giving people more choice. The next few years are going to be interesting. Can't wait to see which way it pans out.

Oh yeah and despite being £25 I'm still able to resist win8. And I have used cp/rp/rtm.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Its too easy to resist.
    Still in doubt if will purchase W8 from an old XP license till Jan/31, though. Bought ME and Vista, makes sense to get this one too.

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I almost bought it! I was half way through the order process. Then reality struck. The only reason I nearly got it was it was £25 and the "metro" looks good. I'd forgot that, I hated the usability/layout, found multitasking excruciating, and was not happy with going between metro/desktop as they both weren't interconnected.

Saying that I would upgrade from XP in a heartbeat. depends what you need from the XP machine though? I'd stick a linux distro on it if suitable. I'm going to stick with 7 until the next release. Also keeping an eye on the linux gaming front with steam as hopefully the scene will change dramatically in the two or so years it will take for Windows 9.

12. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

In my view, that's probably the only viable alternative in the long run, because if the Windows RT concept proves successful, Microsoft will do Windows 9 metro only, or with a limited desktop mode like Windows RT, so that they guaranty apps revenue and that you use Microsoft Office and IE in desktop mode. Since the enthusiast geeks/gamers are a minority, we can protest what ever we want, and it won't do anything: the average (blind) consumer will be happy on a walled garden, less efficient OS.

13. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Can't see that happening. There are just too many native windows business programs to go 'metro' only. They would have to separate the business OS from the consumer OS and I just don't think that would be a smart business move. I don't even think Balmer would be that stupid. Although saying that he is constantly surprising me with his decisions. There really are too many variables with OS's in the near future to make an accurate guess as to where it will be in a few years time.

14. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Indeed, but he's the one that said "we need to be more like Apple".

15. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I do think at some point we need to consider the real possibility of severing ties with anything below a certain DX (or opengl) level for the future, the thing must be so bloated now we're almost certainly taking a performance hit for carrying so much DX baggage.

Possibly the best time would be when next gen consoles appear and have dx11 capable graphics.

I know what people are saying about wanting to keep on playing older legacy games etc - but if people hold onto them with such affection, then keep a legacy pc to play them on... similar to what I did with my old consoles and some much loved games there.