1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows DiRT 2 - What I Think

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 3 Dec 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

"Luke, use the force!"

just finished X-games 3, really disappointed due to it's in America and zero rally race.

Colin Mcrae Challenge should be good though.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2009
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Tried Alt+F4? Works nicely on shattered horizon with its sluggish menus.

3. Cthulhu32

Cthulhu32 Hey Kid, I'm a computer.

Hmm.. I'd get a little nervous using Alt+F4 in a game that heavy. I don't really want to know what happens with a 10gb game memory leaks :/

This is probably the first modern racing game I've played in a while, I'm glad they have kind of shied away from the arcadey feel of the old McRae games. As much as I freaking loved Colin McRae Rally 04 on the Xbox, everything just feels so heavy and real in Dirt 2. I'm definitely going to be playing it some more when I get home from work, so maybe I'll find some game breaker by then or get bored of it like people here have. But so far I'm very happy with such a fun free/promotion game.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I used to do that on assasins creed, murder trying to get out of that game.

5. McVittees

McVittees What's a Dremel?

Can anyone tell me why you always start at the back of the grid? Is this just because I'm only a couple hours into the game and a low rank? Surely grid position should be decided by a qualification run or similar? I can't help feeling being able overtake from last all the way to 1st is kinda...well, the AI drivers must be hobbled in some way to allow us to do this.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Only one way to find out, give it a go. :D

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

in Rally, grid position doesn't matter. besides, overtaking is the fun part if you can catch up to them.

in other races, just like in Race Driver: Grid, overtaking is what's fun about it. play more and you'll learn the how to drift while cut conner and overtaking.

played all races in the first tier, played all x-games, played all other tier's rally races and completed the world rally championship, the mk2 championship and the 2 classic Subaru races....... this game is boring and doesn't have enough rally in it.

8. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

It's a pretty game but i have to agree with others that it does get a bit boring, their's not enough variation with cars and tracks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

I'm absolutely hooked. I play with a wired 360 controller as well.
    I played and Loved Colin McRae: DiRT and this is as mentioned isn't in the same league. It should have been named Ken Block: DiRT 2 (in remembrance of the worlds greatest rally driver Colin McRae).
    That way they get two names on the box for one price.

My thoughts:

Graphics - 9.5/10 (just do some slow motion movies of a race, even the brake disks glow under heavy breaking but not only that even the vent holes are still turning, game world is visually stunning, lighting and effects are awesome, it's the small attention to detail that is a definite winner, environment physics is good)

Sound - 9/10 (as I couldn't say what the real cars sound like I have to say these sound very realistic, music tracks are great and world sounds are full and ambient. just immerse yourself in the sound with a good set of headphones or open air 5.1 and you'll be blown away)

Opponent IA - 8/10 (there is no revenge or payback for aggressive driving, would have been nice, interaction between opponents when driving is novel idea and brings a nice atmosphere to the room)

Cars - 8.5/10 (no customization is what brings this down, the feel of the cars and physics is very intuitive, at first may seem twitchy but the more you play the better control you get over the cars)

I have to include that this does lack a bit of staying power and for me at least is great for a get away from the fps games. I could easily spend 3 hours on DiRT 2 however may become frustrated and bored, so you'll find me playing this more than likely before of after my MW2.

Can't wait for MoH and Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I must say, I played the demo and thought it was good fun, and the physics are hilarious. Just on the demo trailblazer track I rolled my car about 6 times (I'm not very good you see ;)) and shoved it into a sand drift which flipped it.. and both times it landed on it's wheels and didn't stop moving. :thumb:

Not sure it's worth ~£25 to me though, when I still have Dirt 1 around here somewhere, and GRID installed (the Japanese street tracks are amazing in the Aston Martin).

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I absolutely love raping the bollocs of the Bmw Z4M All star spec, when speeding across the sandy plains of Utah in Trailblazer!
    Catch me if you can!!

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

whats your average speed?

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm loving Dirt 2, so much better than it's predecessor and damn fine looking too.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

no, dirt 1 was better because it was a rally game with a smattering of other offroad driving stuff you could ignore plus you could get gritty under the bonnet and tweak everything from cambers, geaer ratio's, toe in, ride hight, springs, etc

dirt 2, 5 SLIDERS for basic pap :eyebrow:

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's a matter of opinion but I'm enjoying this one far more. Also it doesn't come with god awful copy protection.

I have no interest in tinkering under the bonnet and the more off road types of races the better; I enjoy them all.

16. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Just did 110mph average in the Dahlback, was a pretty good run I think.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

average, not fastest.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I tried the demo on the ps3 and it seems like a cool game (there are only two races to try,after all). I really like the speed sensation and the weeds blocking the view of the bumper camera

19. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Of course it isnt the fastet that I did, I dont know where the average speed shows up, so I just used a formula to figure it out, 8.7km in 2 minutes and 57 secounds.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

look in the trailer under my stuff > stats > personal.

and add me to your gfwf already, if your as fast as you say you are then you should entertain me for a bit.