1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Discuss in the forums" link positioning

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Cupboard, 5 Jun 2010.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I personally much prefer reading comments in the forums, so want to get there quickly rather than poncing around with the (often rather long) list of comments.

After a blog post or a news article, the link to go to the forums is in a really good position at the top of the comments list. Excellent. Moving to a more conventional article/review/feature, the link is at the bottom of the comments list.

It isn't a huge thing (you just have to click on reply to get to the link, then on the link to get to the forums) but is there a reason for the difference, and would it be possible to have them all at the top?

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

This.

Like Cupboard said, it wouldn't be so bad but the News articles tease us with the sensible placement of the "Discuss in the Forums" button. But in other features it pops up in the oddest of places.

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I second the motion. I'd like to see the button above the comments on all pages, too.

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

+1

Also: i really like it when the last sentence of an article gives two sides of the discussed situation:

Do you think the button should be on top, for fast access to the forums, or on the bottom, so the comments feature is not put there in vain? discuss in the forums!:lol:

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Presumably you don't want people to jump into the discussion if they haven't read the whole article and it might be a bit misleading to people new to the site who might think the entire article was only one page long.

But +1, I wouldn't use it but it's a good idea.

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Ending Credits: The comments and link to the forums tend to be at the end of the article anyway, so changing things shouldn't cause an issue with that.

Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this :)

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The reason is that the comment page navigation takes up the space that is used for the button on blogs and news.