1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Discworld: Ankh-Morpork Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 3 Dec 2011.

1. Digibull

Digibull Stealth Geek

*facepalm*

Thanks, mate.

2. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Never heard of it. Except for chess, I haven't played a board game since the extremely early double digits.
    Board games on a computer site? It must really be a boring day in the world of computers.
    Or someone was bribed to push this thing during the Holiday season.
    Guess which I suspect. :sigh:

3. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Never heard of what? This particular game, or of the Discworld series in general? (Sir) Terry Pratchett is one of the most successful living authors in the world and has sold over 65m books - as well as some of them having been adapted as plays & big budget TV programmes. The only reason there haven't been any major films so far is because he refused to sell the rights for so long - and I read that Sam Raimi, Danny Boyle and Terry Gilliam have all expressed interest in adapting some of his stories.

I really can't see why this shouldn't be reviewed on here, as I think there's quite a large crossover from people who are interested in technology & computer games and those who are interested in fantasy/fiction & board games - especially when concerning a board game in the run up to Christmas.

I think the notion of bribery to put this up is pretty silly really....

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

5. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Speaking as a 33-year old man that still thoroughly enjoys boardgames (Particularly a fan of the Catan and Carcasonne games, along with Battlestar Galactica) and is also a massive fan of Discworld, I have to say I'm glad to see such a review here - especially since I'd been eyeing the game up anyway and the review has pushed it into the 'must-buy' category for me.

6. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

^What he said. However, Sam Raimi couldn't cut it, Danny Boyle wants to be way too serious but Terry Gilliam? Maybe.

I'd give the vote to (Sir) David Jason as he's done such a good job so far with the Pratchett adaptations he's performed in. There's a man who understands the spirit of the books and has fun playing the role as well as choosing the right people to work with (Tim Curry as the Archchancellor? Genius!)

Now I just need to inform the family that this will be bought for me for crimble and we will be playing it! Fortunately, youngest and eldest brothers are Pratchett fans so the other three should be relatively easily beaten in to line persuaded that this should be the case :D

EDIT: OK, I've been absent a wee while but when did my lack of avatar get changed to more than slightly scary Crimble Relix? One should not misuse the image of the Relix for he has cheesecake which may not be delivered to the blasphemer. This would be bad.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2011
  7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I want to play this!

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'd like some moar pork...

I'll get my coat.

9. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

I can't stand fantasy.

I love Pratchett. He takes fantasy, and indeed pretty much everything, and turns it on its head. And takes the piss out everything.

Plus, any bit-techer worth their salt could appreciate how a troll brain works on the Discworld.

10. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

For those that are finding this out of stock online, Waterstones seem to have quite a few in-store for £29.99. I picked one up today and a friend said they had them in his local store as well. You can also buy the collector's edition from Treefrog directly.

Tags: Add Tags