1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diseases mapped

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Jamie, 7 Jun 2007.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Nice.
    It still won't be perfect until there's a quick way to examine someone's DNA.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Gattaca scares me.....

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's nice to see that the information has been released into the public domain, rather than trying to patent the genes and fleece everyone for all their money.

5. Nezodon

Nezodon New Member

I think this is good news though we are a long way off being able to make practical use of this, im also pleased that they are releasing information about this.

6. geek1017

geek1017 New Member

I hope I'm not side tracking the purpose of this thread, but I don't see any problem with the idea of genetic engineering as long as it is only for the purpose of eliminating debilitating diseases.

Yes, it is likely to be abused. But lets face it, any viable technology is only going to be available to the ultra rich anyway.
    We're not that far away from human cloning as it is.

Lets just say that if I had a way to make sure that my child wasn't born with any major problems I'd do it.
    I don't see this becoming mass eugenics.

The article seems to be talking about diabetes and heart disease too.
    That's an interesting one. Arthritis and Heart disease runs in families I know.
    How would this change what families should already be doing, knowing their medical history, to choose healthy and preventative diets/lifestyles?

7. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

A family history of a disease only means they have an increased risk of contracting it - not that they will get it. People (being people) play the percentages game with their own lives. Knowing for sure if they have the genetic susceptability to a specific disease should increase their sensibility when it comes to their own lifestyle.