1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display goes when playing certain games

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bowmore, 21 Jun 2007.

1. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

Hey there, i have a rather confusing and annoying problem. Ok so when playing CERTAIN games (Far Cry, Maelstrom and some others) it will load fine, play fine and then at a random time the display in the monitor will go dead, the fan on my g-card will go to full power and nothing..... i can still hear the sound of the game playing and it dosnt sound like its a full pc crash since the sounds still fine. i have to reset in order to get my pc working again.

I have the latest drivers, i even tried omega drivers just for the hell of it but nothing changed. Nothing is overclocked either.

Games such as HL2 and swat 4 never have had this with :S so im stumped

SPEC -

AMD athlon X2 4200+
    gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
    2 gigs of Corsair 6400 ram
    ATI Radeon x1950 pro
    Tagen PSU

please help its bugging the hell outta me :D

2. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Possibly it overheated since, from what I'm reading, it appears that the fan doesn't spool up when it should while going into 3D mode; instead, it seems like it's coming on during playtime after overheating and shutting the card off.

3. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

well i thought about that but im not sure, the G card has i big ass heatsink and fan on it, and it plays games that require much more graphical power absalutly fine, also when it crashes ive felt the air being blow out of it and its not very hot at all. il look into it though, thanks for reply

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Is the card overclocked?
    If so, try dropping the core and memory speeds by 10MHz.

5. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

nope everything on my pc is standard, no overclocking at all ^^

6. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having.

Find some software to log your power supply voltages, especially the 12v line. Then play a game and wait for it to crash. Once you get back into windows have a look at the voltages and see if it dips when it crashes.

7. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

well turns out that a component on my g card blew up! so sent it back to HIS and got a replacment. problems is ive just moved and im waiting on my new desk to arrive so i cant really game and test to see if that was the problem

8. malikdrako

malikdrako What's a Dremel?

i'm having pretty much the same problem with the card in my sig, except I have to turn off my computer for a few minutes to get it to start up again
    i'm fairly sure overheating is the problem because when I take the side off my case it does it much less often, and when I point a fan at it, it doesnt do it at all

what parts were faulty on yours?

9. Fused

Fused Minimodder

I had similar problems with my 6800 GT though looks the original poster may have more specific problems. General advice is to take your card take the heatsink off and clean any dust out of it and the fan then apply new thermal paste to the heatsink for the gpu (its likely to have dried up or been of poor quality in the first place) that worked a treat on my 6800GT and brought the temperatures and stopped overheating during graphic intensive games (which is most new games for a 6800GT)

10. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

the x18xx/x19xx series cards run very hot.

The fans are louder than my dyson and highly irritating.

I suggest removal of the HSF and replace with something better.

Artic cooling do some very nice coolers, while apart from keeping your graphics card cooler (between 15 and 20 degrees c at idle in my case), they are quieter.

Out of interest, did you have VPU recover on? as this should reset the card and bring you back to the desktop (although in my experiance, this has been known to take some time)...