1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Distilled water vs Premix in 2012

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Parge, 9 Mar 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi guys.

Bit of a quandary.

I’ve come into possession of a very nice EK 250mm res, and I’m thinking of using it instead of the XSPC bay res I have. I can mount it in the front section of my Yeong Yang, and have it on show.

The overall theme of my case is blue, with black tubing, but I’d love to have a Res containing a UV reactive premix in there too. My concern though is that premixes are a lot less durable and prone to gunking up and breaking down over time. I don’t really want to be dissembling my rig every month to clean the clogged blocks!

Tomshardwares guide to watercooling has this to say:

“Also, this is a wise time to consider additives for your water. Almost all seasoned watercooling veterans will tell you to use only distilled water and either a biocide (such as PTNuke or similar) or a KillCoil...or both. A killcoil is a coil of .9999 pure silver that you drop into your reservoir to inhibit growth of algae and other critters. Most will highly advise against using premixes; some of these even precipitate out and can clog your blocks.”

What do we all think about this? Is it not worth the hassle, or have premixed dyes matured to a level where they are almost on par with distilled water?

2. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Ive used distilled but moved from Distilled to EC6 Thrmochill , ive just taken my block to bits and found it was a bit clogged up after 1 year of use, not massively clogged i must say but there was a blue residue was there , i would advise the distilled with kill coil but it depends what kind of a look your after ?

3. Device Unknown

Device Unknown What's a Dremel?

Certain Premixes are nothing more than Distilled, dye and a biocide. For beginners this is a fantastic solution to take the guesswork out of how much to add etc. etc. Then there are some manufacturers such as Mayhems who take their premixes to science and actually enhance it way more than just distilled liquid with biocides. I'll have a review of their X1 coming out soon to demonstrate this effectively. I also have some coming in for review that's claimed to have no conductivity. This will be another one we will dig DEEP into. I don't often use anything but Mayhem's since they developed the X1. It's just too convenient and proven effective. Believe it or not, you can use too much biocide in a system.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Kill coils do almost nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

Read up, the effective forms of silver are silver ions or colloidal silver, not a lump with a low surface area. It's snake oil, or at best a minor difference. While deionized water is normally used, it will preferentially choose to make ions with the copper in the system (or even more often, the plasticizer) and ignore the silver. A small amount of local ionization will occur, but the loop-protecting property isn't there. What's more important to point out is actual algal infection of a loop is rather rare. Most gunk is either dye falling out or plasticizer leach. Old anecdotal evidence of such as silver coins in a jug of milk hinge on the fact that the pottery or glassware that the milk are in are nonreactive, leaving the silver as the only thing to be attacked.

However, if you don't believe me, ask mayhem. He'll pretty much tell you the same thing.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ok thanks guys. I've also spoken to the guys at Specialtech.co.uk and they said most gunking is caused by people not cleaning their loops out properly to start with. I'm no longer afraid of using pre mix. So I'm after a yellow uv dye, would you recommend Mayhems X1?

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Absolutely. Mayhem's stuff is excellent.

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

There's a lot of science behind the fact that you simply aren't going to improve on water. Good distilled water to remove minerals with a bit of decent biocide like PT Nuke is the best thing to use. Mayhem makes good products, but they are dyes. If you just have to use dyes, his stuff is about the best to use. The premixes are a waste of money and have a track record of having too many issues. Anything that you put into your loop that claims to be non-conductive will not be so for long as ions will leach into the fluid over time anyway. Distilled water has very low conductivity anyway.

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

9. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

I prefer destiled water and vodka. ;)

10. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

100% agree ........

@asura that listing needs updating as we've improved upon the way we make it now and officially been classified as Type 2 ultra Pure H20.

We now do the following

Test meter to start
    150 Psi Pump
    10 micron filter
    5 micron filter
    0.5 Micron filter
    Carbon block 1
    Carbon block 2
    Heavy metal removal filter 1
    Heavy metal removal filter 2
    R0 1
    Ro 2
    Ro 3
    Di resin 1
    Di resin 2
    Di resin 3
    Di resin 4
    UV 1
    Test meter out

Any thing produced over 0.2 TDS is rejected.

We've been classified officially as Medical grade water but we believe when it is sat in a bottle over time it leaches some of it back into the water so we just class it as Ultra Pure H20

Last edited: 24 Mar 2012