1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DIY custom headphone cable with smartphone remote.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dullonien, 28 Mar 2013.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

After a little advice if possible.

Just ordered myself a set of Philips Citiscape Downtown headphones in brown, and thinking I'd like to mod them to allow a nice detachable braided cable (not a fan of the flat cable). Whether or not this is possible might depend on how easy they are to take apart, and the removable part of my plan will depend on if there's space inside to fit a 3.5mm socket.

Does anyone have a link to a good selection of 3.5mm jack connectors? I'd like some nice quality ones, but nothing expensive (a few quid each would be fine), and not too bulky. I've come across AudioSpares.com, but they haven't got a great selection, and most of my google searches have lead me to either cheap plastic ones, or pre-made cables.

Secondly, I'm interested in wiring in some kind of in-line remote to control my Lumia 920 without having to get it out of my pocket all the time. I've got a simple remote that came with my HTC Mozart which includes volume buttons, a receive/end call button and a microphone, which I have previously modded with braided cables, but ideally I'd like something with play/pause and skip track buttons as well (and I'm not fussed about the mic). Is this even possible? Has anyone come across a good remote like this that I could either pillage from a cheap set of headphones, or that comes as an add-in adapter? The only one I've come across is this one on ebay, but it lacks volume controls, and I wonder if there's a nicer quality one available.

Ideally I'd like to use some of the Copper Brown MDPC sleeve, but shipping on just 1m wouldn't make it worth it. I'll try a wanted thread in the sale section to see if anyone has any spare if I decide it's worth undertaking.

I'd like to mod these headphones to make them wireless by including a bluetooth adapter inside as well, but I doubt there'd be space, and I'm not sure I could make all the buttons and connectors look good.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2013
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Here is a remote-adapter for the Lumia.

For modding the headphones with a 3.5mm jack... there's aswell 2.5mm jacks, which Farnell has a wide range to choose from, but they have 3.5mm jacks aswell ofc.

dullonien likes this.
  3. dullonien

Thanks. Yeah, might be worth considering a 2.5mm jack instead. I'll have a look through what they have.

The remote looks very close to what I wanted. Might be better that it isn't in-line actually. I'll order one now and check it out. Thanks and +rep.

Edit. I might still have one of these somewhere, but it has the old LG custom connector at the end.

[​IMG]

How hard would it be to re-wire them and place a 3.5mm jack on there? How does the volume, play/pause and skip track commands get sent through the 3.5mm jack? I know they use a 4 pole connector, but this isn't enough to do all those controls.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2013
  4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Nice though it is I wouldn't recommend MDPC-X sleeving for this as you may find it too stiff. Paracord would probably be better. I've got loads of different colours of this but no brown unfortunately. Closest colour I have would be a gold.

5. dullonien

Ah ok. I'll have a look for some brown or darkish orange. Could yellow look good maybe, would match my yellow Lumia?

Edit. where do you buy your paracord from?

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've got yellow, both safety yellow (very bright greeny yellow) and normal yellow.

Wild Elk sell the consistently best quality paracord, it's manufactured in the USA. Bushcraft can have top quality paracord as well but very rarely and the worst stuff they have you wouldn't use for shoelaces.