1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress DIY MDF CNC MACHINE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Khalid, 17 May 2008.

1. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

Great job Khalid! I'm in the process of designing my first CNC and this was very helpful, Thanks!

2. Khalid

Khalid Professor

Thank you to all...keeping alive my thread:)...i know the meanings of IMHO but what is LMAO???

JOSH:

Awesome! what kind of cnc will this do just engraving or proper milling?
    This machine will be able to all type of 3-Axis milling work (Carving, engraving, profiling, pocketing, contouring and all the remaining ...ing...ing etc on wood/foam/plastic/teflon etc....This machine is not intended for milling Metals:)...(One of the reason is i can't put cooling while milling, MDF sucks:()

Gh0stDrag0n:

I will be happy to see ur thread here...this will help lot of the folks to develop their own...

Attached pictures show some of my work that i have done on my steel frame router, to create the door for my drawing room...All work created with VECTRIC VCARVE PRO 4.6 and the controller software is Mach3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the most beautiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifullllll:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Jun 2008
  3. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

would the actual router be able to mill metals? is it just because you used mdf that it cant??

Josh

4. Khalid

Khalid Professor

Josh:)
    To some extent it can mill aluminium...but due to high cutting forces and less stiffness/rigidity of the complete mill it can't cut Metals:( ...As it is made of MDF, and if there is any invention in cutting oil that donot spoil MDF, may be it can cut metal with low spindle speed, very low detpth of cut (just skimming) and reduced IPM with improved and expensive cutting tool.. Machine will mill the metal but i can't give the guarentee of accuracy:)...One of my freind milling Granite with its MDF machine....... many many factors to consider...

5. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Brilliant idea. The results are just spectacular - a phenomenal level of detail. I can't achieve that with a factory made milling machine :p

Not the sort of thing I would attempt, but my uncle does own a furniture and timber company, so I'll be sure to send him a link...

By the way, ROFL stands for 'Rolling on Floor Laughing' and LMAO stands for 'Laughing my arse off'

6. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

OMG THE DESIGNS ON THE WOOD ARE AMAZING!!! brings back memories of china. lol..

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

wow your cnc is really accurate!! those designs must of taken ages to design, theyre really nice.
    this has brought back my want to build a cnc machine

8. Khalid

Khalid Professor

modgodtanvir:)
    Thanks for nice comments :):) Basically the work looks good bcos it was designed good...The complete sceneray, it better to say,the complete door is designed by my Wife:)...Only the sceneray took 04 hours by assembling different vector images...

Following are the finished pics of the door...

[​IMG]

9. Khalid

Khalid Professor

some more pictures:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

that is some incredible work there!

now about cutting aluminum.

would a CNC built like that MDF one but made of steel instead be able to cut aluminum?

I'm thinking it would probably not be able to use a router as they spin at too high RPMs.

11. Khalid

Khalid Professor

Yes if the same machine built in metal, it will cut aluminium easily:)...With the high RPM, low DOC and by applying WD40 u can easily cut Aluminium with MDF machine too..

12. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Really? can an mdf cnc machine cut aluminium? cool! never knew that. i was thinking of maybe building a mdf cnc machine to make a polypropylene cnc machine to make an aluminium cnc machine! but now that you tell me this i might skip the polypropylene step!

13. Khalid

Khalid Professor

Now if u are planning to cut Aluminum with MDF machine then make ur machine in smaller size:)...this will make it sturdy and will have no racking...

14. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

nice machine. I plan on making one soon. I once used a cnc router to cut out the parts for my 17' kayak.

15. Khalid

Khalid Professor

Production of my new machine started:)..Giving vey very satisfactory results:)...

16. Khalid

Khalid Professor

Water as a Fuel-Experiment successful..12KM/Lit increase to 18KM/lit

Today I am very happy...My experimentation on water as a Fuel to car succeeded...I have Petrol car having 12 KM/lit average and now its increase to 18KM/Lit...

Basically, the designing of the fuel cell and experimentation took much time...Implementation of the system took only few hours..and I can easily revert back to original configuration..

17. Gav

Gav What's a Dremel?

WOW.. what a project :)

18. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Khalid, you must be pro or something, i was like WTF does 12km/l, and 18 km/l have to do with CNC machining, then water fuel cell! Nice!

19. Khalid

Khalid Professor

I am Mechanical engineer and hobbiest:)... Believe me or not, I did it and I am getting extra milage...
    Sometime ago i take it as a scam.. But now i beleive we can improve the performance of our vehicle... Few bucks and experimentation and you get extra milage....

HHO is very explosive, handle it with care..:) See You tube videos on "HHO explosion"

Best of luck

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice door. It's a shame you have to cut a hole for a doorknob in it.