1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding DIY Radiator Stand - DONE! Final Photos posted 8/1/12

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fuganater, 9 Mar 2012.

1. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

So I am getting a test bench from and Italian maker but it has no watercooling options. So I got to thinking about a radiator stand because the test bench is a mini test bench, no WC options.

I saw the Phobya stand and I really really liked it. Which fits 3x 3.120 rads or a 4x180 rad, but its $90. And they have a smaller one, which fits 2x 2.120 rads and its $60.

They have options which are great. You can mount your res and pump to the outside or inside of the rad stand.

So why can't I make it out of pelxi? So after a few hours in sketchup. I came up with this.

Inside the rad stand. You can see where the Rads go.
    [​IMG]

Outside the rad stand. Here you can see where the fan holes need to go.
    [​IMG]

I actually think I may be able to just cut the openings by hand and then just use some modders mesh to cover the holes. That will be way cheaper in the long run as I won't have to ship the plexi out and pay for a laser cutter and I can do it in 1 big piece.

Here is how I will cut the fan holes. All I did was make an X across where the fan hole needs to be (mounting hole to hole) and then drew a 2 5/8" hole there. Delete the parts that are outside the fan hole and there you have nice rounded corners. Should be easy enough to make if I take my time.
    [​IMG]

As of right now the feet are 8" long and 2" wide.

Total dimensions are :
    1' 7" tall
    1' 5" wide
    4" deep (might make this 5 for thicker rads)

All materials are 1/4" thick acrylic.

So I'm going back to the acrylic idea. 1/4" is more than thick enough to handle the weight of the rads. + I will have rad grills made to give it some more strength.

The new feet. I'm 100% sure these will keep it sanding.
    [​IMG]

And the cutouts for the rads.
    [​IMG]

I got replies for the aluminum and just having the main pieces cut will cost over $140 so alu is out.

I just sent some emails to plexi companies to get work done. Hopefully I'll have a reply tomorrow.

Comments and advice welcomed. Cheers till then.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2012
  2. Fuganater

Forgot to mention I got a reply from Delvie's Plastics Inc and this will cost about $30 for the materials but he can not do the rad cutouts. I'll have to do this by hand.

3. Fuganater

Here is the design for my rad grills.
    [​IMG]

Next up are the mounting holes for rads and pumps.

This measurement is actually wrong. Its 1 3/16" between the 2 holes, not 1 1/4"
    [​IMG]

Here it is drawn on the stand. These holes match both a DDC and MCP pump. DDC pump is sideways though but I won't be using one. The holes in the middle are for the EK Res. I like theirs the best and they only need 1 mounting point per res holder.
    [​IMG]

I could also make holes for the DDC pump to face the correct way but as I said, I won't be using it.

More soon.

4. Fuganater

Fans

Not much progress yet but I got my fans in.

18 Yate Loon High Speed fans
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing the first batch.
    [​IMG]

They all work!
    [​IMG]

2nd batch.
    [​IMG]

All good agin.
    [​IMG]

Wiring is a mess. I will be removing the molex connector plugs because I don't need them with the fan bus'.
    [​IMG]

Now I'm just waiting on the fan grills to arrive and for my acrylic supplier to respond back about laser cutting the parts.

Cheers till then.

5. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

What's the noise like with all the Yates running? Planning on any form of control for them to slow down/speed up?

I actually made a VERY basic rad mount out of some spare plywood I had laying around, help two 240mm rads in place and was surprisingly sturdy, very similar design to what you had so I am sure this will work well :)

Also means you can position the rads by your window to keep cool air coming in if that's the sort of thing you are into!

6. Fuganater

To answer your first 2 points: I don't plan on adding any speed control because they are actually super quiet at full speed. (2400RPM) I was very surprised by this.

I could do that but I'm in Africa right now so my office is always cooler than it is out side but if I ever move to a country that has winter I just might do that. Thanks!

7. Fuganater

I have been gone for several months now but I'm only back for a few days. Since I was gone I received a few pieces of plexi, not the whole order, but some.

The custom made rad grills.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sides and feet.
    [​IMG]

The holes line up perfectly!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The holes in the feet and the sides are for hoses to go through or for some Koolance Quick Disconnects. I have the threaded kind so I can actually mount them into these holes.

That's it for now. I'm going on vacation and I hope to have the rest of the plexi when I return so I can really get started on this.

Cheers till then.

8. Fuganater

bah double post

9. Fuganater

Finally got in the last 2 pieces of acrylic in! My order was not fully filled 2 months ago and since I have been gone I was not able to receive the pieces.
    [​IMG]

I wasted no time and started drafting up the design on the main sheet.
    [​IMG]

In order to make sure I had the holes lined up perfectly, I used a 360 rad template that I bought from MNPCTECH. This proved to be an awesome investment and I recommend it to anyone that is going to be making radiator cutouts.
    [​IMG]

2 down and 1 to go!
    [​IMG]

I lined the rads up on the acrylic to make sure I had enough clearance between them and on the sides.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally the 3rd done.
    [​IMG]

Next I drilled the holes for the screws. I did this first because I was afraid that the acrylic would crack if I tried to drill after I made all the cuts.
    [​IMG]

Then I installed the fan grills, fans and rads to make sure everything lined up perfectly. And it did!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what it will look like with the sides on.
    [​IMG]

At the bottom of the sides, you can see the 2 holes for the cables and tubing. I actually need to cut this layer out but more on that in my next update.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully tomorrow I will be doing all the cutting and gluing. I may get this done by Sunday!!

Cheers till next time,

Fuga

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I like it!
    What are you going to be cooling with a monster like that though?

11. Fuganater

No idea yet. lol

12. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

looks awesome.

Do you plan on running the whole thing in series or is each rad going to have it's own loop?

13. Fuganater

Thanks! They will be in series.

14. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

what sort of temp drop are you expecting throught it?

15. Fuganater

Significant. I am putting this rad stand in front of an AC system.

16. Fuganater

Time to cut, but first, I had to drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in the pattern so that I could fit my jigsaw in.
    [​IMG]

Took me about an hour to cut all 3 holes.
    [​IMG]

Here are the markings I made on the sides. I thought the threaded quick disconnects had a larger thread but they don't. So I have to cut away some of the side so that they will fit. I did it on both sides just in case I change something up one day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both sides cut.
    [​IMG]

Now its time for glue!
    [​IMG]

Top glued on. I let it sit for a bit before doing more.
    [​IMG]

One side.
    [​IMG]

2nd side.
    [​IMG]

All done!
    [​IMG]

Now to start attaching the rads. 2 done
    [​IMG]

All 3 attached! Looks great
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the threaded Koolance quick disconnects that I'm using.
    [​IMG]

Next I installed all the fans to the backs of the rads.
    [​IMG]

Then the tubing. I'm using Koolance rotary 90 degree fittings, Bitspower 1/2" barbs and 7/16" tubing.
    [​IMG]

Next I made a ~5' long power cable for the fans. I just threw on some old cheap black sleeving to keep the wires neat.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I leak tested the system for a few hours. No leaks so I guess its good!
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I'm going to carbon fiber the black. Its shiny and shows dirt and fingerprints and I don't like that. I need to order some today.

Until next time,

Fuga

17. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Awesome.

Looking forward to temp comparisons eventually :)

18. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Like it, thats way better looking than a lot of the shop bought ones. Top modding dude.

19. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

nice mod :D very nicely done! How did you make the the fan grills? Are they lazer cut?

20. Fuganater

I think I'll add it to my folding tower and let you know. Will take me a bit to get benchmarks though.

Thanks man!

Thanks! I had them laser cut by a friend on another forum. I will be posting his contact info in the final update (which is once I get the DI NOC in the mail). I paid almost nothing for the 3 grills. If you want it sooner. PM me.