1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding DIY: Router Table

Discussion in 'Modding' started by gnidnu, 8 Sep 2007.

1. gnidnu

gnidnu Beware of the Tofu!

Konnichi wa minna-san! I decided to rearrange things in my tiny basement workshop. Just 2,5 qm ain't much space, so I had to think of something space-saving. A stationary router/router table would be a good modding help. With a built-in cabinet, I could even stow most of my tools inside. It didn't take long to decide: I want, I need, I have to build a router table.

#0 / Up-to-Date Photo:

This is how the router table looks like right now:

[​IMG]

Miscellaneous Data:

Used tools: Plunge Router, Drill, Jig and Random Orbit Sander

Used accessories: Forstner Bit, Rulers, Vices, Miter Vice and Drill Stand

Dimensions: 86,5x90x63cm (HxBxT), Top 2,7x100x73cm (HxBxT)

Materials: Multiplex 30mm and 18mm, Blockboard 3-ply 19mm and Aluminium 5mm

Weight: >30kg

Photo Post-Processing: GIMP (PP) + Inkscape (Frame)

Links you might consider visiting:

hobbywood.de (PDF)
    insidewoodworking.com
    freeww.com
    rockler.com

#1 / Planning:

I've got some issues with numbers, so Google SketchUp helped me with figuring out the best dimensions for this project.

[​IMG]

#2 / Wood:

Here you can see the basic material for the cabinet. Its blockboard 3-ply, three boards 100 x 125 cm large and three boards 100 x 85 cm large.

[​IMG]

#3 / Cutting:

At first, the blockboard was too large. A jigsaw is not a good choice for long distance cuts and I did't not own a circular saw. Since there was no alternative, I took my router and a board as guidance, then used the router as circular saw replacement. Routing in steps was quite fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Dec 2007
  2. zachjowi

zachjowi New Member

looks pretty cool do you think you can get me a copy of the plans?

thanks

3. gnidnu

Last edited: 9 Sep 2007
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

5. Teyber

Teyber ******

i wish i had a router :/

6. gnidnu

@Cheapskate: Thank you very much for the link, I missed that thread. Are you talking about the konnichi wa minna-san!-greeting? Well, I look Asian because my mother comes from Malaysia plus I used to study Japanese Language at University, but then changed to German law after one semester. Thus greeting someone like that is not unusual for me.

7. DragonONE

DragonONE New Member

Very interesting mod, Master Gnidnu :)

I will follow you mod closely - I do have similar plans myself. :)

8. gnidnu

@DragonOne: You'll need patience, finishing the router table might take a while. I am still desperately searching for t-tracks or c-shaped profiles, but getting one in Germany is close to impossible. Why can't we have something like rockler.com here :waah: ?

#4.1 / Exhaust equipment:

Cleaning can be very important, as you can see. I would not want that much dirt to cover the cellar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4.2 / Exhaust equipment:

To be on the safe side, I build a little helper. A cheap IKEA bowl plus some polystyrene sheets was all I needed for that -saved me a lot of cleaning time when working with template bits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DragonONE

DragonONE New Member

Sorry, but i don't get the idea with the bowl. Could you perhaps take a picture that could give me a hint or perhaps just try and explain it in writing? :D

Btw. looked at your missing Alu profiles :
    Found these thru PreisRoboter.de :) hope it can help you ;)

https://ssl-id.de/beschlagsshop.de/

Home -› Baubeschläge -› Profile aus Aluminium
    15 x 15 x 1,5 mm. (Heigth x Width X Thickness) at approx 4€/meter
    25 x 25 x 1,5 mm. at approx 6€/meter

C - Profile
    http://www.eibmarkt.com/cgi-bin/eibmarkt.storefront/DE/Product/NS0422106?PIG=SA&PID=Preisroboter
    2.19€ - i suppose it's per meter - it doesn't say

10. gnidnu

Hope this photo clears up:

[​IMG]

I used template bits quite often which produced more shavings than you might image at first. Cleaning was time-consuming and exhausting, so I build this little helper. The shavings dropped directly into the bowl and cleaning was much easier.

Please excuse the masking tape. I sewed a sealing that looks better and works better in terms of dust absorbing. Unfortunately, I didn't photograph it.

Great, the second link might be what I am looking for. Thank you very much :thumb:. I never heard the expression "Ankerschiene" before. I just wish I could find an aluminium c-profile instead of steel. It's pretty hard to find one in Germany. I even thought about milling an ordinary profile. I found a distributor for c-shaped aluminium, but it's B2B only. They don't sell to consumers.

11. DragonONE

DragonONE New Member

Aaaah. Got it :) nice idea. :)

12. gnidnu

#5 / Template bit:

A template bit was very useful for producing exact copies. The second picture was taken during a different project and is shown for demonstration purpose only. In case you don't know how a template bit works, I'll try to explain: It is bearing-guided, the bit is always kept in the right distance to the board that needs to be cut. It traces the outline of the original board and cuts the board underneath. Both boards do look the same after cutting.

[​IMG]

#6 / Close to assembly:

Later, just a couple of boards were left to take care off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Looks good so far, and I'm eager to see more!

14. gnidnu

You will see more... here comes a small update:

#7 / Hinge hole test drilling:

On these pictures, I was just experimenting to find out the best distance between hinge hole and border.

[​IMG]

The most important cuts were almost done, so I packed up. Looks cram-full, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

#8 / Assembly:

I finally managed to drive home safely. What a luck I did't scratch the plywood surface. Happy about that, I screwed the largest plywood boards together . After having finished that, I tried to move the cabinet into my cellar. No luck with that though, it didn't fit in at first. Removing a single plank solved that space issue. Then I continued with assembly. I used a lot of screws, probably about 100 pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

only an idea, may be too late now, but adjustable shelves might be nice. adjust the height with 4 pegs. but that might also not provide enough support. anyway, looks good! i'll keep checking in for updates.

16. gnidnu

@jakenbake: Good point, didn't think about that. However, the shelves need to be screwed in order to provide enough stability which is more important than flexibility as long as all my tools fit in.

------------------------------------------------

#9 / Mounting the top:

It was about time to mount the top board. I used 27mm strong (whats that in inches?) multiplex-wood, connected to the carcass by Häfele RV Carcass Connectors (top part RV/O, bottom part RV/U-T3).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. nibble

nibble New Member

Great work, makes me wish I actually had a router...

18. Claas M

Claas M New Member

As on EKM I'll follow here too :)

19. DragonONE

DragonONE New Member

Very nice indeed, Master Gnidnu. I'm really looking forward for the fence part :) Btw. did you manage to get hold of C-style Profiles in Alu? Looking forward to your next update :)

20. gnidnu

You'll be surprised how I'm going to deal with that. I'm going to use an ordinary hollow aluminium bar and make a cut right along one side. This little baby is going to help me with that:

[​IMG]

I just have to build a new guide.

The next update might take a while. I'm very busy with studying and a website project right now.