1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hope so! They're actually plastic, though harder and sharper than I was expecting. Definitely wouldn't want to try grabbing a handful!

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

More security-related DIY, securing the office.

It's got a pair of UPVC French doors with a "Sold Secure" multi-point locking system plus a French window. The glass is coated on the inside with a film that'd make it harder to break (that's not its purpose, it's thinner than that stuff - it's actually UV-filtering, but it'll still keep the glass stuck together better than no film at all) and behind that are the slam-lock security grilles I had fitted - the higher-grade, insurance-approved ones.

However, the locks in the door and the locks in the grilles were bog-standard Euro cylinders with no bump-key or anti-snap protection. Yeah, I know.

So, rather than shell out on a locksmith I ordered new three-star locks and spent a surprisingly long time fitting 'em myself.

The grilles, easy: 30/30 double and 30/10 single cylinder, one screw, slide out, slide in, screw back in, done.

The doors, less easy. Both 50/50 double, but they're French doors, of course, so that means while one side is one-screw, slide out, slide in, screw back, the other side is... not. First you have to remove the catch plate, which is held on by about 20 screws. Once you've done that, you have to drill a hole in the UPVC profile to get at the retaining screw. Yeah. And you've got to eyeball it. Was too high on my first try, but added a second hole in a lovely figure-eight beneath it and got where I needed to be. Screw out, slide out, slide in, screw in, then put the chuffin' catch plate back on with its bajillion screws.

Everything was further slowed by the fact that I was also adding two-star security handles as well. Again, should be easy, right? Two screws, remove, install, two screws. This time it was t'other way around: the door that was a nightmare to swap the lock on had the handle installed in no time. The other door... I was at it for an hour. I could get it on, but the key was scraping against the edge of the cylinder guard. Not good.

Spent ages jiggling and wiggling the thing, to no avail, 'cos I was sure I was doing something wrong. There's no way the UPVC installer drilled the holes in ever-so-slightly the wrong position, right? That's ridiculous.

So, after I widened the holes that'd been drilled in ever-so-slightly the wrong position (by using a drill bit as a milling bit) it went on fine. Guh.

Finally done now, and feeling a lot happier about the shed's security. Could probably do with hinge bolts fitting to the doors, as they have external hinges, but I don't fancy doing that myself. Got a quote for £160 installed, so I'll just throw money at the problem (like I probably should have at this one...)

Oh, and speaking of mistakes the installers made: the 50/50 door locks were sticking out about 3mm externally (not much I can do about that, or it'll be recessed 2mm into the handle) and 5mm internally, so I replaced 'em with 50/45s. Now the internal bit of the cylinder is lovely and flush with the shiny new handles:

upload_2023-3-25_16-50-22.png

and the exterior is protected by the cylinder guard (and if they get past that, snaps off flush with the door.)

upload_2023-3-25_16-50-40.png

The Euro cylinders in the grilles still stick out, but that's entirely unavoidable 'cos they're literally the smallest ones you can buy (and miss out on the three-star rating, 'cos they have fewer than 20,000 key combinations due to the loss of a pin). Doesn't matter, anyway, 'cos they'd snap off flush if attacked - and if you try to get at the remaining bit it locks the cam completely.

Happy with that, although I'd have been happier at half the price and a third the effort. I chuffin' hate DIY...

IanW, Arboreal, Goatee and 1 other person like this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I know what you mean. Had to throw over two hundred notes on the new front and back door locks.

At least they're guaranteed and insurer quality, plus it was kind of a "can you do this yesterday" job.

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Busted out the (sadly neglected, these days) lockpicks, out of curiosity.

Using a city rake followed by single-pin picking, I had the door lock open in 20 seconds and the grille lock open in 15 seconds. Time well spent replacing them, methinks!

Goatee, adidan and IanW like this.
  5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Borderline DIY. Just got the loft emptied for the roofers to start next week.

Complete reroof with new tiles. Costing a fortune

6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Soooo... As you may know, I've been doing some "Supporting Artiste" work for a rather large production. If any of you have done this sort of thing before, you know there's a lot of sitting around and chatting! My Instagram profile was shared with the people there and then got through to the studios sustainability department and I'm now making 'wrap gifts' for the cast and crew out of wood that was going to be skipped from the sets!

I can't believe how things like this turn out - it's like the blinkers have been taken off! The sustainability department is subcontracted which means I'm going to have other opportunities to do this in future! I can't believe how lucky I feel at the moment!

trigger, Arboreal, IanW and 3 others like this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

More DIY today, worst luck, but it's decorative this time:

Imagepipe_13.jpg

Bamboo to hide the blockwork retaining wall to the right. Was going to go with some posh hand-woven hazel or willow, but this is *way* cheaper. Dunno how long it'll last, mind...

slimithy, adidan, IamJudd and 2 others like this.
  8. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Well after living here for nearly 5 years we have finally gotten around to redecorating the bathroom and the main guest bedroom.

To

and

to

Also had the solar system installed this week and that's producing nicely, only the master bedroom, loft conversion and insulation and downstairs bathroom to do now....

adidan likes this.
  9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Wow your house must be really big to fit all of that inside it! :naughty:. Congrats on the PVs - it all helps.

10. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Never understand a bed without a headboard. Just makes the wall dirty/greasy.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I darent ask how you sleep :worried::lol:

GeorgeStorm and DeanSUNIAIU like this.
  12. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Soundly, with a headboard. :lol:

Weekly_Estimate and adidan like this.
  13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

:thumb:

14. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Agreed, headboards are essential (the before picture was taken prior to when we bought the house), I'd need to search for a picture of how we had it before the redecoration.

15. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

It's all relative :happy:.

Its a 6KV tri-phase PV system and so far appears to supply the house base load (0.5KW) at a minimum during the day (its been massively cloudy here since it went in) and so far the max has been about 4.5KW which of course covers everything we'd normally run.

We are now down from €4 to €2 euros per day for electricity and the biggest savings will come when we change from the wood gasification boiler for hot water to the electric immersion heater in a few weeks and run the pool in the summer.

The only slight issue is that the Production and import sensors appear to have been wired around the wrong way so the technician will be coming back to rectify that.

Spraduke, Arboreal and IanW like this.
  16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

17. Gareth Halfacree

Got the front garden planted:

garden.jpg

There's a few herbs in play, some lettuces the youngest has been growing from seed, strawbs, kale, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, parsnips, and beetroot. I'm just waiting for my seed potatoes to sprout, and they'll be going in three canvas grow-bag things.

Absolutely no idea if any of the piggin' things will survive to harvest time, but it's an experiment. Looks a lot neater than the old scratty lawn that was there before, too!

18. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That's not a garden, it's a quarry !

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

That's not a quarry, it's the new local litter tray

IanW and DeanSUNIAIU like this.
  20. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder