1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks DNS 4 ADSL (Wiv Static IP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrBadidea, 6 Dec 2001.

1. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

Right, i am getting business 500 adsl, with a static ip address (if i could afford it, i would get business 500+ with the network card style connection) and I am going to host a very small ftp server/page server over it.

Now heres the question, how do I buy a domain name and set up my computer to use it? I have no absolutely noidea how I do this :(

Also, could I buy a network card style ADSL modem to replace the USB style one that BT give you when you sign up for ADSL?

Thx'ing you in advance for any help!!

2. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

You can't replace the modem, because they have a record of a number stored on it (MAC address I believe...perhaps someone else can tell me...), and your connection will not work if you change it. You may be able to change it if you tell/ask them first. No idea about your other questions...

3. R121

R121 What's a Dremel?

MrBadidea

http://www.btofaq.net/ it is a good source of inforamtion for both of your questions

answer to question 1

I got my domain name form https://www.domainnamesgb.com/ they are very cheap after you register a domain name e.g www.abc.com with them you e-mail them where you want the url redirected to in your case your IP address.

answer to question 2

you CAN replace your usb modem (the Frog)

you got some options to get an RJ45 (network card style) connection on your usb ADSL modem the first and easiest is http://www.draytek-uk.com/
    you need the Vigor 2200USB it uses the forg its has lots of other features like a firewall (it may cause problems with you hosting a webpage),
    VPN, NAT, DHCP, and DNS Proxie it also has a 4 port 10/100 Switch built in.

The next option is to go for the D-link www.Dlink.co.uk DSL-500 if you DONT want a 4 port hub built in or DSL-504 if you want a 4 port hub - ADSL router. This option will take some configuring both routers support VPN, DHCP and NAT

the last option TAKES ALOT OF ADVANCE ROUTING TABLE CONFIGURING to get it to work only consider this if you know about Routers !!!!!!! http://www.efficient.com/products/routband.html
    model no. EN 5861 Router they are hard to get in the UK.

it would be ALOT easier for you if you wanted to host a webpage on your computer to stay with the forg !! because you get alot of problems with the routers !

:confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

4. Digital Fodder

Digital Fodder What's a Dremel?

you can crack your self a free domain, go to and seach around

astalavista.box.sk

i do believe that link will disapear pretty soon. so hurry.

5. MrBadidea

Thanx peeps - ill let you know what I did and how i got on when i have the cash to splash on some kit and bt have come to put me line in...

Thanx again! ;)

6. _iNFiNiTy-

_iNFiNiTy- Banned

Box disapear soon? Huh? No, it wont :p

7. Digital Fodder

i didnt mean the page would go... i ment the link due to the fact that its a link to cracking, hacking and warez.

8. Digital Fodder

9. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

nah, I wouldn't delete that...but we can't have you posting direct links to anything of extremely dubious content.....

10. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

my router firmware update came with a MAC address cloning ability, so there must be a DSL modem out there that will let you clone the MAC of the old one if you are really that intent on switching over from USB.

11. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

once you buy a name get the people to register it with your ip addy from BT on their name servers and voilla.... www.mysite.com -> point to your ip addy..

12. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

and the CRAZY thing is....it has !

astalavista has temporarily gone down ! (until monday 7th)

but the rest of the box network is still up.

13. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

It's not quite as simple as that.

A domain name require 2 (normally 2, sometimes 3) DNS server entires to be attached to it - and it's the DNS servers that tell anyone looking for the domain what ip address it's at.

Not very many Domain name registrants offer free use of their DNS servers - although I think some do.

It's not really practical to try and run the DNS server off ADSL becase concievably your IP address *could* chage when you reconnect, ard DoS'ed or have a power cut or something

14. MrBadidea

No m8, got a static IP from BT - £50 monthly for it plus the ADSL

15. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

well if you had the domain entries with your own ip address you'd have to run dns servers too - and most domains require at least 2 dns servers (different ip addresses).

if you find someone that lets you use their own DNS servers it becomes simpler because you can then just point it at your ADSL IP address.

16. MrBadidea

Right, I got a Domian from VI.net, and they let you redirect off of there servers - Ill just stick my addy in there and I'll be sorted

Tags: