1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks DNS issue...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jetsetjimbo, 13 Oct 2004.

1. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I’m in the process of setting up a 2003 Server box to run DNS, DHCP and DNS.

Installed DNS server as advised. All ok, forwarders working with external DNS requests being forwarded onto the router and being resolved.

Then I setup DHCP and everything seems to be OK there too. Machines in the workgroup are being allocated ips and are able to access each other and the net.

Then I've setup a domain, using the wizard and it confirms that everything has setup a.o.k. I’m able to connect to the domain from a client machine.

The thing is when I run NSLOOKUP (on either the DNS server or a client machine) it’s returning the following:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.100: Non-existent domain
    Default Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.100

And when trying to ping the server from itself:

> ping glassmaster
    Server: glassmaster.GLASS.HOUSE.LOCAL
    *** glasshouse-srv can't find ping: Non-existent domain

The DNS seems to be working though as it's resolving internal and external names.

I’ve run ipconfig /all on the the client (member of the domain) and it’s Primary DNS Suffix is listed as GLASS.HOUSE.LOCAL, this is also the only entry in the DNS Suffix Search List.

Any advice (or links) would be greatly appreciated as I’ve been banging my head against wall with this for sometime. I really can’t see where I’m going wrong and no amount of googling seems to show me any different.

2. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

You're doing nothing wrong. Let's deal with this in two parts. Firstly:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.100: Non-existent domain
    Default Server: UnKnown

This indicates that your PC can't successfully do a reverse DNS lookup on 192.168.1.100 to resolve the DNS server's name. This isn't fatal, as reverse DNS zones are pretty much optional. You can fix this by creating a reverse DNS lookup zone on the DNS server for 192.168.1.* and then NSLOOKUP will come back and say that it's using glasshouse-srv.glass.house.local as the nameserver.

Secondly:

> ping glassmaster
    Server: glassmaster.GLASS.HOUSE.LOCAL
    *** glasshouse-srv can't find ping: Non-existent domain

This is happening because you're still inside the NSLOOKUP program at the time. That's why you've got "> ping glassmaster" rather than "C:\> ping glassmaster". Because you've tried to run Ping inside NSLOOKUP, NSLOOKUP thinks you're trying to do a DNS lookup for a domain called Ping. The error code is saying that it can't find a domain by that name.

Hit Ctrl+C to quit NSLOOKUP and get back to a C:\> prompt. Then try PING glassmaster and see what happens :)

Cheers
    Buzzy

3. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Cheers Buzzy! Reaslised about the Ping and being in NSLOOKUP eventually! :wallbash:

Someone at work mentioned the reverse lookup too but thanks for the time all the same.

Can you shed any light on home directories in AD and why they won't mapp to 'my computer' when a user logs onto the domain even when it's setup in the user properties. I've set up nothing for profiles...

4. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

np :)

I'm presuming that you've got a share on the server somewhere called "homedirs" or similar, with subfolders for each user's home directory. So a normal user account Fred could access his home directory by going Start -> Run -> \\Servername\homedirs\Fred

Probably best to login as Fred on the workstation and verify that this actually works, and that you can read and write to the home directory - NTFS permissions might be causing problems.

Check that in the properties of the User account, you've got "Connect Q:\ to \\Servername\homedirs\%USERNAME%"

This will automatically change %USERNAME% to Fred, because that's the user name for the Fred account. Then it should map automatically at the next login for Fred.

HTH
    Buzzy

5. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Looks like I have some help in the networking answering department :) Nice one Buzzy.

6. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

LOL - no worries. I try to do what I can when the slack moments at work let me :)

Tags: