1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Do air filters really affect gas mileage?

Discussion in 'General' started by daguuy, 13 Sep 2008.

1. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I recently changed the air filter on the old merc, and I must say that the performance gain was evident - I think it might have been the first filter change in 6-7 years...

Last edited: 17 Sep 2008
  2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Have a look at the old one, it's probably just a few clips to get it out.

3. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Have you heard of anyone's MAF being permanently damaged by a K&N filter? And I mean have you direct from the horse's mouth? I haven't and don't know of anyone else who has, I think there's a lot of hearsay.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

BTW

Who the hell buys K&N? Where's all the SARD, Blitz, and Denso equipment, yo? But, really, even uprated cars don't need a higher-flowing intake. Maybe the repositioning thereof for cold consistent flow of air, but slotting on a K&N isn't going to make engines 'breathe better' and improve economy. All the smart fuel economy you need is already in your right foot.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

We buy K&N as they are reusable. So at first it costs more but you don't have to replace it unlike regular ones.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Too much messing about cleaning and oiling for me. OEM std air filter costs £9 so I change it every year. Probably overkill but it's part of my yearly/3K service.

7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Got a Blitz in mine. Worth an extra tenner over a standard filter for the slight growl and ±1hp it gives IMO ;)

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

K&N are very good filters :thumb:

In the owner manual of my truck is says to replace the filter every 5,000-10,000 miles but the last time I replaced mine was around 50,000 miles :hehe:

Tags: