1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Do all big games these days crash to desktop once in a while, or is it me?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by oscy, 20 Jun 2021.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

There's the Cyberpunks of the world, but Yakuza Like A Dragon, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Need For Speed Heat, Just Cause 4, all crashed once or twice but aren't mentioned.

I've been playing JC4 for a few days, now it just happened. Is this just normal now? Or is it my 6-year-old GPU being... old? (Updated drivers and no overheating)

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Cyberpunk is notorious for being buggy, so let's leave this aside for now.

I'm currently playing Yakuza Like A Dragon, on chapter 12, zero crashes throughout, it runs perfectly and seems like a low requirement game. I can mine and video encode while playing it.

Just Cause 4, I started it and lost interest after discovering needing to capture so many zones. But never had a crash during the relatively short time with it.

Make sure your RAM is completely error free, how many sticks is it? Try re-seating both RAM and GPU. Also try DDU and re-install the GPU driver.

Worth posting up your system spec.

3. oscy

oscy Modder

I got 2 crashes in 120 hours of YLAD, it was during one of the protagonists' big swing, the game didn't like that big flash I guess. I've got one crash in several days in JC4.

980 TI, Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM @ 3200 MHz, Mortar Max, 750w Season M12II

4. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I would not expect a game to crash enough to make a post about it, I have never had a crash without hardware or software issues within the last 20 years

the last hard crash I had was in 2018 when the ram on my AMD 7950 gave up

oscy likes this.
  5. wyx087

120 hours..... I'm not quite there :eeek:

Is the RAM 2 sticks? Is it rated running at rated speed of 3200 MHz? Try up the RAM voltage ever so slightly by one notch?
    I've had hard crashes, that was when I overclocked my 3000 RAM (same CPU) to 3400 MHz and doing multiple things (GOG game install + transcoding video to RAMdisk + mining + trying to game) There was something not quite right with the RAM overclock that overnight Memtest couldn't pick up.

But the frequency of your crashes are very low. I would be inclined to agree with your assessment that it is the game's problem. May be memory leak over long periods, where regular QA testing is less likely to pick up.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I had a load of crashes while playing through Control...

...and that was on the Xbox One!

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Staff

I think it's almost to be expected to get the odd crash. Whether it be drivers throwing a spaz, game engine having a moment or a fight between the 2, maybe something in the background causing an error or conflict with DRM/anti-cheat? On an old work pc my system would freeze every time Firefox downloaded an update.

oscy likes this.
  8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Background software conflicts are more likely than hardware issues these days, I reckon. I don't have games crash on me at all, and the last time it cropped up as a recurring problem, it turned out to be Steam Overlay or something that was doing it. All those layers besides the game executable itself, that interact with it (like, as Crapman says, DRM/anti-cheat) are way less polished and maintained than the games themselves, sometimes.

I had one customer who was experiencing frequent CTDs in various games, he tried different GPUs and all sorts, eventually donated his CPU and board to me just in case, and paid me to reload the whole system on a new board, CPU and RAM. He was fine thereafter, but I reused his old board and CPU for myself and it's been fault-free ever since. It was software.

9. oscy

oscy Modder

I got nearly 200 hours out of Yakuza 5 and 0 and I'm not even a completionist. :grin:

Games where I got lots of crashes is Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which could be every minute for a few minutes or every few hours depending on the mission. But this was / is apparently the norm for these games. Generally I'll either get no crashes or a few over time. Sometimes after alt-tabbing out and doing something else for a bit then alt-tabbing back, I'm not surprised if I'm playing a beefy game and it pops out of existence after that.

This is working RAM IIRC, since the original RAM I bought was causing BSOD once a day at first boot when I put it at the rated 3200MHz before working, and someone here gave me theirs until mine got RMA'd. Both 2 x 8GB. If my old RAM ever crashed after boot it'd be a BSOD rather than to desktop, but voltage is something to try, but also something I might not notice the results of.

At the moment I probably just have to shrug and say it's one of those things and might even fix itself, if it is a 'me' problem, because it can be one of those scenarios where days or weeks are spent messing around and nothing changes. Google any game and you'll find someone complaining about crashes so it'd hard to know which games actually are wonky. If it was getting BSODs I'd think it was something on my end more.

10. boiled_elephant

Fresh install is always a go-to, as well. I'm rather embarrassed at how seldom I think to do it; Windows 10 has spoilt me with its ability to basically be dragged and dropped onto all-new hardware configurations and just...boot up and work. Haven't reloaded my main rig in years. It's well overdue.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Modder

Slightly divergent from topic then, but sort of "on" - is the ultimate setup therefore to have a C: Windows drive with EVERYTHING else defaulting to install to D: (via junctions for eg.), then image C: and reinstall the image every few months? Or, just keep the Win install on C: refreshed from new every few months and hope the registry recognises the stuff on D:?

I've tried several methods over the years and keep going back to junction stuff that worked with W7, but not sure how W10 holds up with it.

12. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Check GPU vRAM usage, for me thats the most prevalent reason for game/app crash (usually without any error).

As someone who hasn't reinstalled windows since vista, just upgraded (vista->w7->w10, still on 1909) and doesn't even reboot for months at a time (record was ~400 days uptime on W7), what the f*** are you doing with your PC to have to reinstall windows every few months?

13. oscy

oscy Modder

Maybe that plays a part. My 980 TI is 'only' 6GB, and playing on Ultra these days can be over that, perhaps it doesn't help.

14. wyx087

It depends on the software. complex stuff like Office/Adobe or small quick to install software I would re-install properly on a new instance of Windows, thus on C drive. But Steam and games, I'd simply have it installed on another drive and vast majority of the time just create a shortcut to the game EXE.

I've gotten away with 128GB SSD as boot drive for years. Currently my C partition is 200GB with 90GB to spare. All games goes on the 2TB drive or the other partition.

I've also worked out easy way to preserve user data on the C drive. Just copy User and ProgramData folder to another partition. Then copy across sub-folders if needed after Windows reinstall.

This program also seems to create a good backup for games data. https://www.gamesave-manager.com/

15. boiled_elephant

This is a neat shortcut idea, but sadly it leaves room for some issues. I've had Steam and Origin games randomly misbehave for really obscure reasons to do with file conflicts, config files, and paths - issues that were totally resolved by deleting my horribly old install of the game, with its sedimentary layers of updates, and manually redownloading it fresh. Bear in mind that every Steam update to a game is going through the devs' hands and then Steam's, and has to be carefully designed to handle previous revisions of the game, possibly with user mods and changes, and hardware changes and such along the way. The chances of something eventually going wrong are pretty high. A reinstall fixes that.

Your suggestion also doesn't work at all for programs which actually depend on registry entries and need to be installed to work at all, which is most conventional desktop programs. If you have, say, iTunes installed on your D: partition and reinstall Windows on your C: partition, iTunes will no longer work until you reinstall it. You can reinstall it into the same location, but this also increases the odds of something going wrong.

Basically, there's no better maintenance route than clean installs of everything, and every shortcut away from this increases the chances of strange undocumented conflicts and glitches (in my experience). Hope that helps!