1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Do any of you leave your computer on 24/7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j4mi3, 29 Nov 2012.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've always turned my machines off, My Laptop is always off when not in use. Only thing that stayed on 24/7 was my Server, which i no longer have.

Sam

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Idling at 200W would be a pretty highend server. My server with 11 hard drives (none in sleep), E3-1235 (similar to i7-2600), 24GB RAM and TV card pulls 100W at idle. My gaming desktop pulls 240W at full load (OCCT+Furmark).

100W automatically cuts your calculation in half, and considering i live in "cheaper" country (0.08€/kWh), it goes down to 70€, or about 5.9€/month. Which is around one good meal or about 2/3 of the train ticket price to my parents house.

To get 200W idle power consumption, you would need multiple graphics cards and a Socket 2011 system or a old Socket 775 system with a 65nm Core 2 Quad and a graphics card with relatively bad idle power consumption (HD4870 for example).

In other words, the 200W figure is pretty much impossible for most home servers. 40-140W is more realistic.

I personally turn the desktop and laptops off when leaving or sleeping, and keep the server on 24/7.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Mine are on 24/7 except for updates and maintenance, but remote access mine all the time, not just in the house, but whilst elsewhere as well

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Even when you are sleeping? why not simply put your computer to sleep at night?

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Because I would forget to wake it up, then go out, then realise I need access to it and get pissed off lol, to be fair, I have two servers and my desktop running, and the electric consumption isn't loads

I do turn monitor off though

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I would look into wake on ring if I were in your position. Perhaps you have already and it's not viable. I know absolutely nothing about it.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

To be honest, can't be arsed, at the moment it just works, I have no wish to fix what aint broke. My network at home, is a business class network with domain controller, website hosting, etc.

8. GoodBytes

So, its broken and you don't want to fix it?

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Nope it isn't broken, it works the way I want it too. No need to fix something that isn't broken.

English saying don't fix what aint broke

10. GoodBytes

Something that isn't tested is always broken.

11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

i gotta move to Quebec! the way my future rig is goin it'll blow the power lines THEN the bank! [​IMG]

fyi i could care less about global warming as if the treehuggers have there way id be forced to drive a prius or a leaf(and i mean the tree kind) and use a computer that laughs if you try to play even mineccraft. mayybe not all but the majority that ive met. and they make up for my wastefulness.... which is folding so im helping science right there. BAM! i shall now leave the room as people grab there flamethrowers and shoot at my post
    [​IMG]

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Ignoring the arguments above; It depends highly on the workload. My system drops to sleep less than ten minutes after I stop using it, stays off overnight, but most of the time I'm on it; I'm a Teenager wasting away his hours in the internet and games, who'da thunk it?

As for the power complaint: What do you do with your system when it's idle? The only times my PC won't drop to sleep are if it's; Downloading something, updating something, or I've stuck a Skype call on Hold.

I will admit; Sleep isn't anywhere as effective at lowering power draw as turning off my surge protector is (Big handy switch by my left foot. I'm asking to get electrocuted one of these days.), but the trade-off of not having to wait while my Crosshair V sluggishly swims through UEFI and hands over to Windows is worth it in my opinion.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

This actually means that you do care, to some degree about global warming. Here's David Mitchell to explain it to you. With graphs and everything! :lol:

Last edited: 3 Dec 2012
    aNuclearPidgeon likes this.
  14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

deleted, wrong thread. oops.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2012
  15. BrAdAsS

BrAdAsS New Member

Over time use wise, it's more practical I think to leave the computer running 24/7, period. No booting, waking up, no waiting for hdd's to spin up, no wireless dropping out randomly.. I use a program to stop the USB drives from powering down then up all the time. Can't stand having to wait for ****. You can set reliable schedules. Remote access when you want. I prefer having the computer available 24/7 from anywhere. The time you save is why I do it. I have solar and made 17kwh today. Power has never been an issue.

"Horses for courses"

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I just found out that my Panasonic plasma TV pulls 500W from the wall.

[​IMG]

17. klausfinkel

klausfinkel New Member

Yeah pretty much! I use my laptop at work, at home and at night to download something or render some work.

I'm surprised that my laptop is going to have it's 4th birthday this month.

18. GoodBytes

What's your laptop?

Sounds like you are still using Windows XP, or your system has problems.
    There is "no" wait time under 7, and even less so in 8.

19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

what even are you?

Shirty likes this.
  20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Sig'd. Love it.