1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Do cpu's scale if I double the no. of cores ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dunx, 26 Oct 2010.

1. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

1. Currently using an i5-665K - 2 cores and thus four threads.
    2. Upgrade option is i7-875k - 4 cores and thus eight threads...

Will I see double the performance at the same clock ? Or are there greater "overheads" that will reduce performance ?

Sat crunching numbers 24/7 so I can justify the upgrade as I need my i5 for my Fractal ITX HTPC.

Thanks for any input,

dunx

P.S. No budget for a six-core monster so don't go there... :miffed:

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

no double performance is ever possible with such simple doubling of cores

and there shouldn't be any overhead that will reduce your current performance.

actually, for multithreaded crunching numbers 24/7, you should see nearly 2x performance increase, about 1.8x i'd say.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It depends entirely on whether said number-crunching application is multithreaded or not, really.

edit: ninjas...

4. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

As said there won't be any extra overhead no matter how many extra cores there are. It just depends if you can use all of it.

Hypertheading packs an extra thread but that isn't near the performance of adding an extra core. If you find yourself using highly threaded applications or running multiple applications at the same time then a quad core would be a lot faster but never double in speed.

If you are running highly threaded applications that crunch a lot of numbers. AMD offer hexa-core processor for considerably cheaper. Even though AMD phenoms don't pack as many operations per cycle, the sheer number of cores in the Phenoms would beat any i7 quad in highly threaded applications.

5. dunx

Thanks for the info.

It's mostly BOINC related tomfoolery... and to gradually fill a couple of 1 TB drives for backing-up my other PC late at night, at the weekend.

I'd rather stick with my LGA 1156 mo-bo, and logic suggests a quad core/eight thread cpu will process around 2x the data for a given cpu clock. Or I could buy a GTX 460 OC ? ? ?

Would love to go to a six core i7 cpu, but not unless I earn considerable more money... :miffed:

dunx

P.S. Although I started as an AMD fan-boy, it's been downhill since... :sigh:

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

your slowest hd will be the bottleneck there.. should be able to get roughly around 80mb a sec backing up to an external.. cpu cores are used for apps.. some games do use up to 4 cores but it has to be coded in- software doesn't automatically use more cores because they're there

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the gtx460- I would go with the gpu over a new mb if your already on 1156

7. dunx

CUDA !

I assume much faster than a cpu at folding/number crunching...
    7800 GT isn't able to do much more than spill 1440 x 900 onto my monitor. :hehe:

dunx