1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Do gamers want shorter games?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2008.

?

Regardless of other factors, shorter games are:

1. Good

15.4%
  2. Bad

84.6%
  1. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

personally it all comes down to how much genuine content there is - games like GTA for example have a pretty long playtime (or much shorter if you choose to ship the extras), but the content is _reasonably_ fresh throughout. Then on the other side of the coin you have games like Assassins Creed - a fairly short game, but with very limited, repetetive content.
    My ideal game is short (25 hours max), and with no "fillers". This includes rpg style grinding, repeated content, unecessary cut scenes, and of course ridiculous travel times (most obvious example that comes to mind is WoW, with the stupid "get to x location, kill 2 things then come back to y, where x and y are about 30 mins travel apart).

2. MachineUK

MachineUK What's a Dremel?

Must quote first two lines to my girlfriend Timmy............

Seriously tho, completely agree with a lot of you here in that, the length of the game doesnt matter to me if the quality and overall experience of the game shines through. Take Mass effect as an example.........Not a very long story as far as the main campaign goes (lots of complaints from consumers there)........but the quality of the game and replay value FOR ME makes the length of the game less important.

Genres play a part in this really. I want to play an RPG to get lost in a story, and to get that feeling, I generally like that story to be as long as possible. Games like COD4 to me are, fun, quick, action games that dont have to be epic in length.

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm happy to provide the excuse, to your girlfriend, for your disappointingly small penis.

4. MachineUK

I was actually still talking about games, my girlfriend is an avid mass effect player.............but thankyou for your kind words.

5. Timmy_the_tortoise

You are very welcome, friend.

6. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

I belivef all rpg game like oblvion as to be VERY VERY Long or Diablo 3 or sacred 2
    with lot of quest : possibility
    game are never too long Beside Civlisaiton Games :p and yet it why it good. it offer a solution
    but i belief all gun games as to be at last. 20 hour of campagne : and over 5000 hour of gameplay online ! =) lot of map & balance
    that the ideal
    wc3 = longest Story of RTS ever Saw The campagne but realy good lot of gamer
    sometime it too long to understand serie. so i used cheatcode and skiped foward story line instead of spending. 200 hour of how to win the campagne it took me 1 day instead of learning the story and it good. rts as to be long as long it offer a possiblity to set level at playable =) for comomon

7. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

Long games are the way to go unless this is achieved through repetative grinding. The same mobs over and over and over in fairly static environments. Diablo 2 had some grinding, but with the way the gameplay was thought out and the environments were setup it wasn't that bad. I still break it out and load it up once in a while.

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

diablo 2 had some grinding??

diablo was a pure grind but the return was so good that you didnt mind it was an excellent game as each level you really felt you where getting somewhere and it did not get boring despite the seemingly repetitious play style

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Basically the fact is, that the games that I like are to short and the games that I don't like are to long...

10. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

hehe, QFT

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

THAT'S Relativity, kids.

12. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I think this only really applies to 'on rails' games, where you are forced through a series of events determined by a pace set by the developers.

Personally I prefer sandbox games which provide a more open environment where objectives can either be completed at my leisure or completely ignored.

13. MachineUK

Which is why the shorter or longer game 'thing' doesnt apply to all genres.

In answer to Joe's question tho: No, I wouldnt like to see shorter games!

14. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

I don't!

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't really mind shorter games myself, I don't like criminally short games, but I don't see the point in drawing out a game for the sake of making it longer, quality over quantity is definitely better. Although both quantity and quality is great too, but it's rare than a long game will hold my attention for long enough, I usually get frustrated with little annoyances in the game play or just get plain bored.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

One has to wonder if he's connected to reality, especially with that last line. Does he not know that it's pretty much impossible to return games? :eyebrow:

17. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i disagree with the article saying that most don't have time to play an epic journey in a game.. sure we do... maybe not all in 8 hour stretches.. but i could easily play a long game over weeks with an hour or two at a time here and there..

basicaly, i think there are several factors: price of the game, gameplay, length, replayability/value etc that all factor in to decide whether the game is good... it's never *just* length

18. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I think this is an excuse to make games shorter.

We can now even see episodic games to make them last longer!

19. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

last week i finished COD4 in 2 nights, only playing a few hours each night. awesome game but needed to be longer. my save on oblivion has over 100 hours, and it still isn't boring. thats the kind of game i like

20. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

CoD4 is quite short single player wise, but makes up for it with it's excellent online IMO. If there were stats for which games I've played most on my Xbox 360 Call of duty 4 would be multiple times above the rest, except maybe halo 3

Tags: Add Tags