1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Do you smoke around your computer? Take a look here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drachnem, 2 Aug 2007.

1. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I have been doing my fathers computer systems for a long time, and normally I replace his system within a few months to keep him up to date. I built him a Chief Tech full tower and he's been using it for about 6 months now, he complained that his system was running slow etc so I popped open the case to check for over heating and found this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lesson is if you smoke, get filters this is only 6ish months of smoke and dust. Plus the sheer amount of dirt and caked smoke is amazing lol. :thumb:

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Good friggin' LORD, that's nasty! :jawdrop: I think that's a great Anti-Smoking ad targeting the mod crowd. ;)

3. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

I'm not queasyabout most things, but that literally makes me feel sick to look at it. THe fans, no so much, though that black one is still pretty close...but that heatsink is seriously making me wanna void my stomach.

4. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

Yeah I smoke around my computer and have had my motherboard fan stop working (luckily I noticed) aswell as my vga card fan stop (unfortunately it blew up). Smoking kills, folks.

pimonserry likes this.
  5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

wow. This reminds me of why smoking was banned on airplanes. the smoke would damage the gyros in some of the instruments and those things aren't cheap.

6. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

thats rather disgusting that looks like a computer I took apart after several years of use and no cleaning.man that is impressive.

7. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Wow, it took my old P3 Dell years to get that way, smoking sure helps make computers dirty!

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I hope you didn't touch it with bare hands

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Nevermind those pics... just imagine what his lungs must be like :(

sp4nky likes this.
  10. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

It looks like there are chunks of hair on that fan...

But to put it simply... gross.

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

That's pretty mingin'!

I do smoke around my laptops, but not all the time (and they get regular clean-outs anyway). TBH, it's mainly just dust/dead skin that gets caught up in my fans...

12. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Your dad needs to cut down his smoking even if its just for his pc's health. I would clean it once and tell him next time he does it himself if it's in that state.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

I still find it hard to believe just how much dust got built up - does he not vacuum his house?

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Good lord, just how many does he smoke a day?

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

A nice excuse, but the more accurate reason why smoking was banned on airplanes was so that airlines could vastly lower the level of airconditioning and therefore reduce the fuel use per flight. A side affect of this is now that you're much more likely to catch a cold on a plane. Still, I guess it's better to get a cold or a flu than have to deal with smoke for a few hours.

sp4nky likes this.
  16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I got a free PC because it had stopped working. Opened it up to find something much like this. Not only do the parts smell really really strongly (and bad ofc), but all the gunk is sticky. Really sticky.

I just binned the heatsink/fan (only a stock one, have many to replace it), PSU and fans.

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I had to look @ them again. Geez. It almost looks like undead fans that just crawled out of a crypt somewhere, lol. Nasty.

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

That made my lungs itchy

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I cant say I agree with that. Whats your source of information? I have 3 years of flight training under my belt plus i'm a flight instructor. Even planes without a/c still dont allow smoking.
    I'm not trying to start a fight here, I would really like to know where you heard that.

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Some pilot told my dad (he flies like 2-4 times a week for business so has gotten to know people over the years). For comercial airliners they're able to have the AC doing far far less work if they're not having to keep the cabin smokefree.

Tags: