1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Do you smoke around your computer? Take a look here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drachnem, 2 Aug 2007.

1. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

And DVT

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

oh my... thats gross... I had a used bed once (the headboard) was caked on with smoky crap like that, this beats it hands down cause you can actually see the crap.

One more reason cig's should be outlawed....

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Rated R.

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I actually did a special mod job when building a PC for a guy who smoked.

I put in some removable filters on all the intakes of a CMS830 (HEPA quality ones, not cheap grills)

I did a clean out after 2 months, to see the effect, and the insides were still nice and clean, and since the guy had cleaned the filters regularly, they were only mildly dirty.

5. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Urgh. Reminds me of my bros computer. He´s a chain smoker, and can easely smoke 2 packs during a WoW raid cause of the stress. After it chrashed of overheating he´s cleaning it every 3rd month + he chews nicotine chewing gum when gaming.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You could get about 10 rollups from that lot. At least :)

It seems weird that there's very little dust/crap anywhere else. Must be one heck of a high rpm fan on that heatsink.

7. capcom1

capcom1 What's a Dremel?

wow..is that stuff alive :O . i smoked for years around my pc and never did it look like that , how many is he on a day ffs . lol

8. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

Whoah, that's seriously clogged up. Nasty.

9. fart_plume

fart_plume A Dremel?lol I use an Axe!

Yeah, I Smoke around mine, Clean it pretty Frequently, But I found its not so much smoke it the computer as its ash dust from the ashtray......gotta quit ...again

As for why there is no smoking on Airplanes it was the second hand smoke issue here in the U.S. why it was banned first on short flights then years later on international flights.

10. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

Would an air cleaner help ???

Sharp FU-40SE . . . idea being the smoke particles in the air are filtered by the device, and also +ions are released by the device which cling to dust particles causing them to fall to floor (less dusting), and also that can kill majority of air bourne germs etc.

This unit originally listed for £400 in UK, but deals were to be had at under £100 . . . . now most people sell them for under £100. Compared to bionnaire, the Sharp's use far less energy, are quieter, and more advanced. Watt consumption in particular is far lower than many other brands. Whilst filters are still expensive, they do last a long time on this model (at least for non-smokers) and ours even with a new house move (Charles Church nightmare but that's another story, with defective floors, missing joist, well over 500 faults, and a builder full of excuses, limited on solutions . . . part of the Persimmon Group). Our house still has high dust levels and carpets up . . . the current filters are now almost 3 years old and have survived much their life in the new home trying to keep excessive dust levels down.

http://www.currys.co.uk/product.php?sku=923517
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-FU40SE-Air-Purifier-Cleaner/dp/B0000YVLUO

P.S. side note on new homes for sale in UK housing market . . . not many new home buyers know that they are not covered by the sale of goods act which would normally mean; 1. Goods have to be as described, 2. Goods should be fit for purpose, 3. Goods should be of reasonable quality. But it gets worse, one can't assume consumer has a right for the builder (specifically building company selling a new home) to follow known good practice either . . . and the 2 year warranty doesn't cover contract issues, e.g. if the wrong kitchen units are fitted (qty, or colour etc) NHBC warranty won't help . . . . so long as they are fitted poorly NHBC might help . . . but then NHBC aslo goes to extraordinary lengths to assist builder in giving customer false excuses for accepting substandard builds. NHBC has a code of conduct for builders, but no complaints procedure or known enforcement method. When one looks at other countries building houses for far lower prices, yet to far higher standards, one wonders why the UK government are not acting to stop the UK consumers loosing out. I consider this news account http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=1309082007 to be a very tame version of our experiences . . . Apologies for the rant . . . back to the thread . . .

Last edited: 4 Sep 2007
  11. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

I work in a computer shop and we see alot of Smokers PC's. We have seen a few soo nasty we just turned them away and told them to just go buy a new PC as theirs wasn't worth fixing. Every fan needing to be replaced, heatsink so clogged you would need a power washer to clean it, and the mobo caked 1/2 cm of tar and residue. On ones that arn't that bad we are required to take them out and clean them, and need a face mask to do it.

12. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I think its probably more for the other passengers
    I mean, there are probably alot more non-smokers on the plane then smokers, and not everyone wants to sit in a cabin full of smoke

Plus the fact it will set off the smoke detectors in the plane

13. Eraflo

Eraflo What's a Dremel?

Wow thats amazingly bad for 6 months. Imagine your poor fathers insides :eek:

14. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

Just imagin what that does to your lungs then!

15. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

argh that makes me sick, yet another justification for why i dont smoke

16. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Absolute nonsense.

17. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Nice bump :rolleyes:.

18. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

I followed it from a link in the other thread. Didn't realise it was that old. And it is nonsense, it needed saying.

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i've seen worse, at a recent lan event one chap turned up with an antec 900.

You know that little tray on top of the case, well that was an ash tray. oh lord! the whole machine was caked in crap and fuz.

We turned his keyboard upside down and created a mountain of ash and crap.

Who here remembers the drive bay device that added a cigerette lighter to your case! ROFL!

[​IMG]

20. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

my uncle smoked a lot around his PC.

His 7800 GTX cooler which was originally clear, had gone brown..

He uses an antec 1200 case atm, yet after one month I asked if I could clean the dust filters as they where covered in grime

- The answer is, if you smoke near your PC, You MUST have dust filters.

Tags: