1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Do you smoke around your computer? Take a look here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drachnem, 2 Aug 2007.

1. Ploo

Ploo What's a Dremel?

That'd be a brilliant anti smoking ad.

"If that's what's happening to your PC due to smoking, think about what's happening to your lungs"

2. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

I'm an insurgent err I mean smoker. You really think a ****ing heatsink caked in tobacco gunk is going stop people smoking. **** off!

3. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Assuming all smokers are ignorant as you are. Short answer is no.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Or just smoke by a window, or by a fan. :rolleyes:

5. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

6. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

*vomits* that looks nasty.

7. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

This looks really bad, my dad smokes around his P.C and after 2 years his never looked that bad, does your dad smoke a lot then Drachnem? I know my dad smokes at least 20 a day and his has never looked as bad as that.

8. KnightDWF

KnightDWF What's a Dremel?

Smoking Kills - Computers

Hey,

I've worked with computers for the better part of 15 years. I've built my own computers as well as those for family and friends. There is a BIG difference between what a non-smoker's computer and a smoker's computer looks like on the inside.

Sloughed off skin cells are dry light colored powdered dust. You can spray it with canned air and it will generally blow off quite easily. Cigarett smoke on the other hand makes a computer look very much like the pictures shown at the start of this thread! It's brown, it's oily, and you pretty much have to scrape the guck off as canned air is useless against it!

My first computer I buit myself lasted me a good 7-10 years with some modifications along the way. The computer I built for my mom lasted a good 10 years or so, before it just finally reached the point that it because outdated. My most recent computer had an issue with a mother board, but that was probably a manufacturing error as a friend with another motherboard by the same manufacturer had his die on him too.

On the other hand, a friend of mine that smokes has blown two powersupplies, a motherboard, and his floppy disk drive. He complained of disk drive noises and his computer would occasional spontaneously reboot. It had four case fans by the time everything was said and done, two of which were caked with that brown guck! His CPU fan had the brown guck on it as well! His floppy drive was missing the face place and had the brown guck inside of it... All of this inside of three years of use.

The bottom line, cigarette smoke kills people, and people's lungs have a means to clean themselves out with time. Computers don't have a means by which they can wash themselves! The pictures above are the computer version of "Smoker's lung"!

[​IMG]

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

I don't believe that, it looks fake to me. I smoke really heavy and have a 2-3year old PC case here.

In all my years i have never seen anything like that.

My PC has a plexiglass side window and it has taken on a brownish tint, but my CPU/FAN coolers have never gotten like that and i smoke 40+ a day in a small room here with the door closed most of the time.

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Seriously? Why bump a year old thread with that?

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It's not fake. We've all seen it and we have all been disgusted by it. You can't say it's fake.

12. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Why not?

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Why would you smoke that much indoors, especially somewhere that isn't very ventilated?

If I ever feel like smoking, it's usually not too much trouble to go outside, or at least open a window.

People will hate you less + hardware lasts longer.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Not if you live alone wa*nking to world of warcraft all night, or what ever the lastest BS is.

15. Bing

Bing Every day is a learning day!

Dunno about your aircraft, but our gyros are sealed units...... What kind of Mickey Mouse ones are you on about? :thumb:

16. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Now i kinda see the logic in this; *link*
    At the time it seemed like apple were just screwing their customers, but i'm thinking maybe its fair.

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Dear lord ! A stranger give his pc in this condition and I'll say no. I'm not a smoker, and for me a pc like that is an outrage.....

18. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

machine... up to date... AGP...
    :p

gotta love 3 year old threads :rolleyes:

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Even in 07 it must have been a very low end pc, heh.

20. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I need to clean out his tower again haha. I'll post pics again so you guys can see the updates :)

Tags: