1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dodgy mains supply

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 5 Jan 2005.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

The 'leccy has been so bad here today :eeek: My desk lamp has been flickering between normal kinda brightness, flickering like a network activity light and just randomly being 1/2 as bright as it usually would be.

In the last minute everything went off for a split second bar my PCs (saved by the stored charge in the caps in the PSU) - i can hear a few house alarms going off in the distance too.

Might unplug turn my machines to protect them from any spikes/brown outs if it happens again :blah:

Damn electricty companies... :rolleyes:

[/rant]

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

that sucks... The only thing I have here , occasionaly, is the electricity going out.. for just a few seconds, mostly at night. But it is a bit of a bother because my alarm clock dosn't go off then.. so I oversleep aswell.

but other then that I never had anything like your story happening.

thats weird ..
    In belgium we can call to some number, and then they set up a ----- (special kind of meter, that registers the voltage etc... over a long period of time) , if there is something not according to rules, the company has to fix it etc..

hmmm
    L

Good luck with your problem.. I would get one of those .. damn can't think of the name.. that protect your computer equipment from changing voltage's, or no current at all.

L

3. westeee

westeee New Member

we have those here in the uk, we had one for a week when we had to much voltage, so they monitored it for a week and fixed it eventually

4. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I remember before when all the lights in the house started flickering violently, the Sky came on by itself (it used to do that in a powercut, Pace Surround Sound jobbie) it turns out water had seeped into the meters in the warehouse and according to the guy who works for us we had an electric fire shooting up the wall :)

Smelt like an arc welder in there afterwards!

5. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

At least you're not in this village, the power goes down pretty often, and if that wasn't enough the wiring in this house is so poor - (the guy who installed it should be sued & never be allowed to install cabling again) - that if I have all my PCs on with the washing machine or tumble dryer the wiring starts to melt and the power trips!

The wires installed are not thick enough to handle all the power draw I guess, cause they heat up and start melting, a few days ago (the first time it happened) I never smelt anything because I was in a different room and the plastic sleeving on the wires melted off completely resulting in huge short & the mains box actually frying :blah:

Anyway, the UK always has problems during the winter months due to all the additional power drain with heaters etc. I remember always having 10 to 15 less volts every winter back in Leicester, and regular light flickering etc.
    Bring on the fusion reactors!

6. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

same thing is happening here. the lights in my room keep getting dimmer and then coming back to norm. plus the clock on my stereo has reset meaning power has been lost at some point.

7. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I've also been getting that alot, i can hear it when it gets my pc as well, its like its powering up then down in a split second :worried: .

Death

8. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

bad luck rich, /me hugs ups.. Although only one on cheap linux server, not on big expercince rig that cost me over 1500+, but on the cheap linux server that cost me.... About 5quid.:|.

- Sc0rian

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's called 'dawn' :rolleyes:

10. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

lol cpemma :hehe: :hehe:

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Well gosh darned it that turned my frown upside down..

12. Vap0K177@r-22.C

Vap0K177@r-22.C New Member

had the flikery light syndrome here aswell for the last few weeks ,although it seems to have gone away in the last few days. Wish i could afford a ups to protect my baby but i cant :sigh: ,having said that ive just noticed ebuyer have 1 for £30 :eyebrow:

13. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Fill your basement with car batterys then laugh @ the neighbors as they sit in the dark listing to their battery radio
    :)

14. TMM

TMM Modder

same here. not too often, but once in a while the power will go out of half a second-1second~.

Its quite interesting actually, as i run quality power supplys in all of my computers, and my sister has some generic kinda one in hers... My comps will keep running smoothly through a half second black-out, but hers will turn off :p

15. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

It is one thing you will have to get used to in future as the UK is rapidly approaching the limit of its power generation. It would be nice if we could build a few nuclear powerstations to increase capacity, but everyone throws (an unncessary) wobbly when nuclear anything is mentioned :rolleyes: .

16. jezmck

jezmck Well-Known Member

been in Liverpool for ~3.5 years and not a problem yet.
    apart from when I was renting and the dumbass landlord flicked the wrong breaker! he had come to fix the ancient 'coo-ker' which would have failed _various_ safety tests.

17. scotty6435

scotty6435 New Member

I'm quite lucky really, we've got a stable power supply at my house. The only problem is the jerk 3 doors down has really shoddy wiring and so our ground has 28 volts going through it! You should hear the constant hum off of my speakers!

18. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Dont you have a surge protector?

Its nothing to be worried about, its just all the chavs *shorting* out the power supply by playing about in the sub stations

there should be a devil smiley.

hows this

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Jan 2005
  19. jezmck

jezmck Well-Known Member

you should tell your electric company - get them to sort out that guy. it's not fair that his rubbish electrics should effect yours so much.
    (PS - how do you measure that?)

20. Chucjy

Chucjy New Member

Could always get a UPS that would sort all your probelems out :thumb: