1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Does a hot CPU make you want it more?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stanley Tweedle, 9 Jun 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

When Ivy Bridge was released... Many people expected it to be cooler than sandybridge even when overclocked. The heat and lower average overclock put me off buying one.

Now with the release of Haswell there seems to be a shift in my thinking taking place...

I'm actually thinking that it would be a challenge to take a hot cpu and see how well I could cool it.

Slicing the IHS off also seems suddenly appealing given Bit Tech's latest feature and the EK kit.

So does the heat put you off or make you want it more?

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Felt the same about taming my GTX 480 even going as far as creating a custom BIOS to reduce the resting voltage.

On a good day under load the GTX 480 can average 40 degrees under water!

3. Stanley Tweedle

That's a pretty good temp for a 480.

Actually you've just put a question in my head...

GPU core... They don't have heat-spreaders do they?

They often don't have heat-spreaders do they? Direct Die?

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nvidia do and AMD don't... last time I checked!

At least the 4, 5, 6 and 7 hundred series of Nvidia cards do.

5. Stanley Tweedle

Intresting.

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yes, thought provoking as it looks like chips are going to get hotter for the forseeable future. As enthusiasts we are always trying to get more out of our CPUs. It looks like watercooling may get a revival.

7. Stanley Tweedle

I don't think I will ever stop liquid cooling my CPU. Until a few weeks ago my 680 was on liquid but I'm guessing there must have been a problem with the placement of a thermal pad cos it was crashing more and more over the past 2 months.

Back on air for GPU and 100% stable. I prefer the convenience of not having to plumb or un-plumb GPU. For a few mins I considered going to air for my cpu too but decided against it.

From what I've been reading on bit tech the Haswell is good on performance even without extremes of overclock. Part of me would love the challenge of taming one and seeing how well I could cool and OC it. Knowing my luck I'd end up with a really crap overclocker and miss my 4.9ghz 2500k.

8. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I think you have an interesting point.

It would actually be fun to try and see if you could tame it and play about seeing what could be done.

It may seem a backwards way of using a cpu, but to be honest, with the stagnent pc market at the moment, i would be happy to give it a go, just to have something to do with my pc.

I never thought my pc would get so boring and have started messing with my audio setup in the attempt to breathe some life into my hobby.

Im happy to upgrade to haswel, but still havent seen a half decent board that would suit me as yet.

9. Stanley Tweedle

Oh no! So it's come down to messing with your audio setup!

:)

Yeah, it's funny... this about turn has only happened over the past week or so. I don't even have any plans to upgrade. I just no longer see the heat as a negative... from an overclocker's point of view it's a challenge. They seem to be good processors apart from the heat issue.

Tags: