1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Does any of this smell like poo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 17 Mar 2020.

1. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Intel made one, too...? Weird that now refers to a Threadripper...

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah that is why I had the double take when I said it lol. Then I was thinking "Hang on, that can't be right".

Funny thing is? that was the elite Sandybridge chip that they used to pound AMD into the ground. Oh the irony lmfao.

It gets funnier too.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...extreme-edition-15m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

My chip replaced that :D

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats because you have to use Dell replacement parts ;)

4. Vault-Tec

Nah not so. They're all stock-ish.

Their warranty is awesome. Next day, on site, have parts with them.

I went through 3 keyboards on my m11x.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

They've changed then! I remember when it was risky using non Dell RAM!

6. Vault-Tec

Hilariously MSI make Alienware now. They made the boards from x58 and still do.

My 2014 has an MSI part sticker on the case lol.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

It's a bit of a pile atm lol.

[​IMG]

Unpacked the case. Got a thankyou letter from the president of Lian Li lmao. Any way, they stiff you on the second ribbon and you can't get it any more. Not that I would want to, it's about 80 quid. So I did my research on Amazon for the best X1 ribbon as it's only for the sound card and I got this, for £17.

[​IMG]

So with tomorrow's delivery that should about do it.

Bloody_Pete, Arboreal and adidan like this.
  8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm not ashamed to be envious.

yuusou, Bloody_Pete, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Second order came (Rift, cable extensions and fan hub. Oh and TIM). Did forget a couple of things so I ordered those.

[​IMG]

Three boxes of those (so 9 total) and this.

[​IMG]

So I can get it set up here at mum's.

10. Vault-Tec

OK so the build was pretty much done today. I hit a few pitfalls along the way though.

Firstly because this is a water cooling specific case I could not fit a rad in the top on push pull. I wanted the Kingpin up top, but had to remove the rad as it was a good 3cm from seating. The hoses were hitting the mid plate.

I mounted the GPU in the bottom slot, then found out the ribbon cable did not reach the top X16 slot on the board. This would not be an issue on a HEDT, because many of the lower slots are X16. Sadly on mine it's X4. So I took it all apart for a third time and put the GPU in the top section. Ribbon fits OK. Bit of a curve, but it does look nice coming into the board. I can't fit the two SSDs. I didn't realise just how few lanes these CPUs have, and I didn't want my GPU not running at all (8x minimum will do me). So right now I have the 1tb in the top slot and I will put the 256 into my triad (as I robbed the one out of there for my TR build lol). The H100x lives in the top on pull.

Other than it being really super difficult to build into (because you have to do things in a weird order, so GPU first for example) and having to take it all apart on three occasions to rethink and start again I did get it all in. The kingpin rad is in the front on push pull (because that is how the air gets in so I wanted the second fan just to shove it along a little bit and that worked well) and besides the outer fans are controlled by the GPU so will spin up when needed.

Big shout out to Asus for the Strix PSU. It's absolutely lovely. They give you magnet plates to put on if you want it to be extra gamery, but I decided against that as you won't see the PSU. I don't have much more to do now other than general tidying and removing all of the fingerprints. Few cable ties and I can reassemble it.

The 1X ribbon was woefully too short, so I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a longer Lian Li one for the sound card. I don't mind, and I am hoping to possibly pick up a Nu Audio for it but the STX is more than good enough.

In short it is an absolute beast. Even on my potato BIOS set up it scored 4200 in CB15 which is pretty barbaric. IIRC the 16 core gen one TR scored 3000.

Then I need to figure out how all of the BIOS options work and so on. It's been ages since I even bothered. I would imagine enabling PBO is good though right?

The carbon CM cables look stunning. The whole rig does really. It's just black on black on black on black etc with the Corsair pump lighting up white. The board has some RGB, but that is being set white. As are the LEDs on the Kingpin when I figure all that out. Was seeing 90-120fps+ in Timespy, about the most I have ever seen before is 60-70. It's also very quiet indeed and I am thrilled with it. Does need one minor mod, but I will show why and what I have planned for that tomorrow.

adidan likes this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Would've been easy in a PC-011 :p

Its the 'fun' of this hobby that even when we research and plan things fully stuff still doesn't go right! At least you didn't have to aangle grind stuff :p

12. Vault-Tec

Nah I'm glad I went with this case. It's absolutely stunning and there's very few of them around.

It looks like the ribbons for other Lian Li cases are the same, it's just the brackets that are different but of course I have two of those.

Don't like the silver cables I got and cm want you to spend 70 euro so I'll just get some black ones to go with the carbon instead.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

OK. Tried getting pics, but the sun is brutal. This is with the curtains closed FFS. It's still very messy with some umbilical cords and etc. Windows is on and activated though, so it's just tidying and cable tying today.

[​IMG]

Ribbon needs some shaping.

[​IMG]

GPU is in.

[​IMG]

Cables need some training.

Panels :/

[​IMG]

The one thing I am not happy about is being able to see the back side of the mobo because I had to move the GPU up. IDK if I will find a ribbon long enough for the sound card, but I hope I can. If not I will put a plate of matt acrylic there. Need to get it all back together today as I am leaving tomorrow and returning later in the week.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

That ought to do the sound.

15. Jeff Hine

Is TOSLink the only out to standard PC speakers...? Two 3.5mm jack points say stereo (2.1, at best), if so.

EDIT:
    It is... do optical in 5.1 speaker sets even exist, these days?

16. Vault-Tec

No idea it's for a pair of headphones.

17. Jeff Hine

This'd do me, if ever I wanted to go external/off-board...

Looks like it (ZxR) would do the job more that adequately, mind

18. Vault-Tec

Yeah I had one of those and it was good. I need the one with the breakout box as switching means changing cables so I'd prefer it on my desk.

19. Jeff Hine

My RF speaker has a 3.5mm H/phone jack so I'm good there.

20. Vault-Tec

I'm currently using a Xonar U7 MK2 external, but I am already having USB issues as it is so don't want to be trying to add some sort of switch or KVM to the mix. I'm trying to leave the other rig in service as it has all of my crap on it.