1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Does any of this smell like poo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 17 Mar 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It worked :D

[​IMG]

woohoo.

kim and Bloody_Pete like this.
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Nice! I wonder what kind of distance you could get on it!

3. Vault-Tec

Dunno. It stopped working soon after :D

I don't blame it though. The STX is a royal pita on a good day. It would play a few songs and the the relays would click out.

Needs more investigation and I can't do that without the new one.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats a really odd way to describe it, but yes I'd infer you are correct, but as is the way with these things I never believe it until tested!

And urg, I really hate how to this day the keying on a SSD still isn't in the spec! WHY? Its like a phone just saying USB with no other infomation! So now I have to google and assumptions have to be made -_- Going by this that is a B+M drive so should work fine :)

6. Vault-Tec

Wicked. I've ordered it. I really don't want sata cables becoming part of the equation.

Don't really want any more cables than strictly necessary.

It's only for some music and photos etc.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Oh and I *think* I have fixed the sound card situation. I removed the SATA power cable. It seems that is required for GPUs, but with no instructions it was hard to tell. I removed it, sound card is no longer tripping out (yet, though I've been testing it 30 mins so far). It may have been getting too much current. I also noted that the socket on it is very loose, and the slightest movement (IE me hopping my fat legs to Pearl Jam) seems to disconnect it lol. So I have stuck some masking tape on it to hold it whilst testing. It may require some hot snot on the back when I come to fit the permanent solution though.

8. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

To back up sanity check - what 'board...?

9. Vault-Tec

X570 Tuf gaming plus. That's the manual page.

It seems I may have misunderstood though. Apparently the PCH on X570 gives 16 more lanes via the chipset. So I may be able to add my 256gb viper too without losing GPU lanes.

I'd need a pcie card for it but they're only about two quid.

10. Jeff Hine

Just had a squizz at the book 'o words & can't see any "do this, lose that" I'm used to seeing, so...

11. Vault-Tec

It's good news. It means the sound card won't eat any lanes from the GPU. It also means that the 256gb Viper I got can actually go in, instead of being an expensive ornament lol.

[​IMG]

It won't fit on the board now as the heatsink isn't needed (and I am not risking yanking it off) so I got another of these, that worked very well with my U.2 drive.

[​IMG]

So, I can now migrate the OS over to the 256, leaving me with 2tb (an no wires, hurrah !)

12. Vault-Tec

Sound card came yesterday, SSD came today. All fitted in no issues, blue cable does look a bit pants. I have ordered these as they got great ratings.

[​IMG]

Hopefully the 1m won't be too long. If it is I will get a black 60cm. It works perfectly though and all sounds great. SSD was no issue at all either, picked it straight up.

There is one thing I don't like. In the front the rad mount is 120 or 140. I have a dual 120 AIO in there. However, when you sit back you can see the gaps around it. Not really what I wanted out of a rig like this. However, I ordered a pair of these.

[​IMG]

I won't be hooking up the RGB though.

13. Vault-Tec

OK, those USB cables don't work. So it's plan B.

[​IMG]

I've ordered it in two sizes (10mm and 15mm) and will see how I get on. I also got this

[​IMG]

So I am sure that I can come up with something more suitable.

The one thing that is super annoying is that the sound cards are not being held at the bottom of the PCIE slot. Even if I had the genuine Lian Li cable it would not stop the secondary input card from doing it. They bend in when you connect things. I had two options. Drill through the bottom of the slot so I could bolt into the holes in the cards (not a fan) or make something out of 8mm acrylic and stick it in with 3m to stop them doing that. I ordered the 3m and acrylic. If that fails I will have to drill the case, but I would rather not.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Do you mean the PCIe card diesn't stay in place or the sound cahrd doesn't stay in the socket?

15. Vault-Tec

There are no inserts for the tabs on the cards. So all that holds them in is the screw.

16. Vault-Tec

Ugh. Decided to hook up the frames. I had to get this to do so.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't have, but HWC did a video on the neons today that I was looking at and I cracked.

[​IMG]

I suppose it will be nice to actually see the hardware in there.

The PCIE NVME thing came today so I will get that done later.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is what always happens with these projects!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  18. Jeff Hine

S'why I research the parts I need to death, before I 'put in a request for funding'; I get an anxiety attack if I go over budget.
    Like when I got the monitor I'm using, now... I pretty much had a breakdown at the thought of having to ask to get a new graphics card because my 1050ti wasn't up to the job of driving a 4K/60 unit.

19. Vault-Tec

I only really wanted them white. Or just a standard, non pukey sort of colour. I just love the way those LED neons look when they are lit. It's literally seamless.

Sadly the frames seem to be 12v, with the neons DRGB. IDK yet if the board has both but I think it may.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I used to work with people who made massive art installations out of them! I think BigClive has some good videos on them too.