1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding does anyone know of a mobo that is at most 7inches wide?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by UNO, 20 Apr 2004.

1. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

hey uno here...

i have a BIG problem...
    i need a mobo that can take an amdathlon procesor, doesnt suck big balls and is 12inch by 7 inch...well it could be longer or shorter but it can be no wider than 7 inches.

anyhoo i was wondering if you guys could help me out. the case that it will go in will be shown at the quakecon lan so if you could help i would be very greatful

thank you -UNO

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

i may have just the one, i'll go browse for it now, used it to make my m8s system.

EDIT

U'll have to wait till im next on as the site is currently down for maint and im off to work

Last edited: 20 Apr 2004
  3. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

well, for mobo sizes, the FlexATX spec is 9"x7.5" (although one I looked up was 9x7.2) so you're probably gonna need to get one of the shuttle mobos (afik, ITX don't support AMD). check their website for more info.

4. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

yea... if you could find me a link that would be great but if not if you could give me the name

5. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Apr 2004
  6. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

well, either go to www.newegg.com and look under mobos and FlexATX (they've got two), or go to www.shuttle.com and look around (i'm on dial-up so it took to long, so i didn't snoop much)

7. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

im not sure this would work but um give it a shot!
    Mobo

8. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

its definitely not only 7" trust me, its a full sized ATX board.... 9x12ish....

a shuttle fATX board or barebone board would be in the 7" range...

mATX boards might fit the bill

the only boards I have that are that narrow is an old p2/3 based asus, a s370 based asus, and my shuttle..

10. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

thanks guys for poasting and for your help but you guys have to remember that this mobo can be NO BIGGER THAN 7 inches.

now i might be able to squeeze a 19cm wide mobo in it but if you all can find a 7inch mobo that would be great

----UNO

11. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

I use Gigabyte GA-7ZXE with a Amd Athlon 1900+.
    In my opinion it seems to be some inches smaller than other
    mobos I have. Try it.

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

13. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You've gotten yourself into quite a pickle, because 7" is only a few millimeters beyond the stand-off hole positions on the side of the board opposite the I/O connections. For 7 inches, the edge of the board can only be the narrow width of an IDE connector away from the edge of the stand-off holes.
    I'll keep looking, but I'm not too hopefully of finding some that's less that 185mm wide and STILL Socket A...

Close, but not quite (190mm width)
    Also close (190mm width)

Frankly I think you should rethink whatever enclosure you're planning.

Or you could go P4...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Apr 2004
  14. planki

planki ...

argh dont buy pc chips! from what ive heard with other peoples experiences they aint all that good!

15. Nieko

Nieko What's a Dremel?

The mini-ITX Captain Slug found may be the only one under the 7" mark.
    Even a Shuttle XPC board is 7.28" x 10". :eeek:

16. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

they are not terrible ( got an old slot1/socket370 microATX ) only downside is support, they do not have all their bioses online and thus you need to pay someone $25 for a bios download i found that a bit too much for +32 gb support on my 40 gb drive... you get what you pay for, and they're cheap

17. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

wow thank you all for helping out but i have solved my problem....
    i am going to try something that i havnt seen in the modding world
    i am going to........are you ready for this? mount the mobo at an angle :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: because if you know anything about basic geometry of right triangles you would know that the longest side of a right triangle is teh hypotenuse not the long leg. this shoudl give me a couple more inches to work with and incase you were wondering i am going to use this mobo

thank you great peoples of bit-tech
    UNO

18. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

the thinest board I've everseen is 18.3cm or 7.20" which was a gigabyte kt133 board bit old but will run some athlon xp's but anything smaller will be hard to find

19. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

All boards made to Mini-ITX specifications are 6.79" square. Shuttle and other boarebones are not ITX, but are rather their own proprietary derivations of Flex ATX. The only shuttle model to dtae that actually met the requirements of the ITX spec was the SV25.

You will however be unable to find a Mini-ITX board with an AGP slot since AGP is beyond the power specifications of the standard, and the size of the boards limits you to only one expansion slot. There are a number of boards available with Mini-AGP though and I am interested in seeing more boards that offer module expansions similar to the newest upgradable graphics modules offered in high-end laptops.

But back on topic... Mounting your board at and angle is a good option as long as you factor in the height of the expansion cards you plan to use and you securely mount the board itself.

20. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

ahh you do have a good point i will need to watch out for thoes pesky graphics cards and networking cards :thumb:

thank you for the heads up

remember though that this is plan B and if you can find me a mobo that meets my cryteria you win the prize!!! lol keep lookin

UNO