1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Does anyone make a silent 40mm fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cthippo, 4 Jun 2016.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I know this seems like a prima facie dumb question, but does any company make a silent, or at least really quiet, 40mm fan? I have a couple of them, one in my file server and another ion my switch that are old and noisy (and probably dying). I see Sythe, Gelid, Noctua, etc all claim to have silent fans, but does anyone have any experience with them?

Once I move to my new place I will be living in the same room with the computers, so quiet is going to be important!

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

I *think* I went for these when I swapped out 3 40mm fans in a networking switch a few months ago and they're either silent or as close to it as I can see them being.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The problem with quiet 40mm fans is the poor airflow - more often than not you're looking at 3 to 4 cfm. The Noctua ones are still weak but better than most.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

+1 to what spreadie said, the noctuas are probably your best bet, they also do a 5v version if the one you're replacing is 5v...

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I replaced the noisy fan in my Samsung DVD/HD recorder with a Scythe Mini Kaze which has been running quietly, non-stop for 6 1/2 years.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ok, thanks guys.

One of these is for a Via C7D mob replacing the factory CO fan and the other is for a gigabit switch, also replacing OEM.

7. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

funny you mention this, i have literally just taken delivery of 2, 40mm Noctua's ( for my 3d printer )

and they are MUCH quieter than the 40mm fans that came with it, while moving more air

OEM 40mm fans are usually terrible... most replacement fans will move more air while being quieter i think

8. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Not sure if this is allowed but I've an unused NF-A4x10 FLX that I can send and you Paypal me a few quid if it works...