1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Does anyone own a laser cutter?

Discussion in 'General' started by liratheal, 15 Oct 2018.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Weirdly, it sounds like a fun jigsaw to me!

I've already started redrawing at the moment, and will be seeing aforementioned vinyl cutter owning customer tomorrow.

2. liratheal

My vinyl cutter chap struck out - Too much small detail for the cutter they have.

I'm still re-drawing with single-pixel lines, but the plywood arrived yesterday and I adjusted the size down to 290mmx290mm and started at it with the dremel. My hand is tingly, so I stopped and started playing with the LED's a little bit. I need some of the fluff I used in the thunderhammer to diffuse the light, but;

[​IMG]

The concept seems sound. Assuming I can make it through the entire piece with my sanity in tact. That small bit took about an hour.

I'm thinking about adding EL string to provide a constant orange glow. Anyone know if those can be adjusted with a buckpuck lowering the voltage to lower the brightness?

MLyons likes this.
  3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Looks good! Nt sure I'd have the patience for that tbh, the hand cut look does add something to it though.

I did have another thought yesterday, you could go with the laser option but only cut through the protective film instead of all the way through the acrylic and then just peel off the film that you don't want.

4. liratheal

I'm hoping my screwups tracing it with a dremel don't make it look to arse!

While that would also work - I feel like there'd still be too much detail for most laser cutters to be willing to accept.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Late to the party but you could build a pantograph for this sort of thing, a cheap and easy way to increase your "freehand" accuracy.