1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks does BT adsl lag?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eaterofpies, 30 Mar 2002.

1. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

im trying to decide what broadband to get and im looking for 512 kbps access and i need to find out wether BT adsl lags cos im a gamer and ive had a play on a cable 512kbps and was so impressed but its a bit pricy as u need to get cable TV to get NTL cable modem :sigh:
    /me neeeeeeeeed(tm)s help
    thx for ne ideas

2. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

it has nuttin to do with what company u go through its the bottle necks in the way ok so say ur in the uk ur trying to acces a server in usa other side of the world it depends on how many ppl r useing it how fast ur connection is how many ppl are useing the same pipeline stuff like that it also has to do with the speed of ur computer all these things com into fact

as i have heard seen as i dont live in uk bt is the main server and other campanys run through there pipeline so really doesnt make stuff all difference

edit:

if its adsl u do not need a coax connection which is what cable tv runns off u use ur existing fone line they change it and do what ever else to it ( i dunno if its a deal or what eva through bt but thats how it goes in oz)

3. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Generally cable has a lower ping than adsl, the usb adsl modem that bt uses has a few problems with via chipsets it keeps dropping out. If you go for the wires only then you could get a router whic will lower the ping slightly and take the load of the cpu. ADSL in the uk can be a bit flaky, bto customer service is poor at the best. The last 3 months have been good for me on adsl without any connection problems, but that could change as for 2 months the pings where over 200ms and 10 % pl, this was due to the homegateway upgrades. BT just didn't care that it took 2-3 months to fix, so you take your chances.
    I typically get pings of 30- 70 on uk servers like blueyonder and barrysworld.

4. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Herbs, what d/load speed do you get ,as i was going to get adsl soon from pipex who do a wires only for £23 a month, they use all of the BT lines so i assume the speeds will be similar

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Obviously depending on the server but on a good one i get a max out of 63-64k. A m8 just got adsl from pipex and he is pleased with it.

6. batsman

batsman the quiet one

I got my BT plug and go setup Thursday over the weekend got a typical ping of about 20-70, download speeds of 50-60 KBs.

7. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

righty then time to get adsl me thinks im off to look for an adsl modem

8. batsman

batsman the quiet one

if you can get one go for the dabs value routers, very good value.

adslguide.org had a review .

Tags: