1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Does game branding matter?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 9 Mar 2010.

1. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I did own a Halo 3 branded 360 controller, that was drink influenced purchase on release night.

I would probably buy a branded mouse mat if it was subtle, for example if Steelseries were to say do a black QcK pad with an Eye of Horus (to tie in wonderfully with the update to DoW2) in dark grey. But most importantly it must not cost more!

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Not in the slightest... I bought some Mountain Dew WoW game fuel stuff once, but that was for the want of the new flavour...

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

In some ways, yes. The brand is a symbol of pride, if you're proud of playing WoW the SteelSeries mouse could quite understandably appeal to you. Personally I wouldn't buy branded peripherals unless they were the same quality and price, but just looked different. Example being the special Pokemon Yellow Version gameboy color, with a blue back, yellow front, and pokemon graphics around the screen. Can't remember if it cost more than normal ones, but I sure had some bragging rights... while lining up the little IR transmitters mocking the other kids for their boring gameboys :D

4. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

all eye of the beholder stuff.. what one person likes another thinks it's garbage

5. B3CK

B3CK Member

I would buy a branded piece of kit, only if a mod had it in the design plan.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thank you all!

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

+1

8. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Your recent testing and my experience shows that 'Branded' PSUs are consistently better than generics and the same goes for RAM.

But unless you add an overlay to a keyboard for a particular game I don't see added value for game branded peripherals.

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

When Modern Warfare 2 was released there was a branded headset for the PS3. It was inferior in every way to the Sony headset and I know one person who bought it shortly threw it in the bin and get the Sony one.

10. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

I own a Gran Turismo branded logitech wheel (dual force GT) and I did buy it mainly to play GT5 (whenever it comes out) but I didn't buy it because of the branding. It was because I couldn't stretch to a G25/27 and after them it was the best wheel I could afford which was compatible with PC and PS3.

However as a rule I'm always sceptical of game branded hardware as all it generally does is inflate the price

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

QFT

12. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

Given how demanding it is, the publishers of ARMA 2 should have branded a PSU.

Otherwise the branding on a Creative soundcard is irrelevant, being the dominant consumer soundcard maker up until integrated sound started getting good, Soundblaster's what I would buy anyway.

It's different for external peripherals though - my next gamepad will be the PC version of the 360 model, as the one upside of GFW is that 99% of games with a gamepad option should just work and I'll hopefully never have to buy another one until I have the console.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Generally if a product is game-branded then it's one to avoid. Brands in terms of things like PSU's,RAM ect are good because you know what you are getting and if you know which brands to buy you know you are getting quality for your money. Sticking a game name on something is just a gimmick and usually get put on naff products.

14. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Although not game branded, has anyone bought any of the "Fatal1ty" branded stuff? Do you get any more FPS than non-Fatal1ty branded stuff? Then the branding is a bit pointless.

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Short answer: mostly no

Long Answer:

Same price & quality as non-branded + I like the game = might buy (IF I need one at the time)

Same quality as non-branded + $1 to $3 more + I really Really REALLY like the game = might buy (IF I need one at the time) (but I have to REALLY like it).

Anything else = will not buy. (unless it's cheaper but equal or better quality and I need one then I might buy (but also might mod off the logo))

I seriously don't understand people who buy things with huge corporate logos on them (especially clothing): Why should anyone (other than the company) pay to advertise a brand or pay extra to wear a corporate logo? - Although, I guess even I have bought such - but only in the very rare case where I really Really REALLY like what the brand stands for.

16. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Game branded hardware? Peripherals?

OMG No Way!

Not even if it was a little cheaper, something would have to be dirt dirt cheap to make me accept it on my desk.

It makes me think of those novelty mice in the shape of cars or other such rubbish. Cheap & Tacky and aimed at kids or as novelty / impulse buys.

Let's face it, branded peripherals is like many things for kids (Just look in any shop). It's my twins 3yo birthday in a few weeks, they'll be getting bikes - I'd love to get them simple primary colours bikes but I know they would rather have something branded with their fave Cbeebies character of the month.

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

The market for these things is not us

18. Unknownsock

Unknownsock New Member

I think the question should be, how many people are influenced subliminaly here :)
    I'm sure alot of us are. Thats what marketing is right?

19. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

I wear a NOD T-shirt, does that count?

20. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

Sometimes but very rarely. Most "branded" products feel like cheap junk, but the other day I had the opportunity to play with the new razer mouse designed for MMO's and I think it's brilliant. The side buttons are excellent for specific macro's for wow or other MMO's. I think that it's only really useful for endgame raiding or pvp since those are the only applications I can think of that would require quick, accurate, multi-button combinations.

I think this applies for some of the game specific keyboards I've seen as well as the super-responsive mice designed for FPS gaming.

As far as buying a product JUST because it's advertized for a certain game the answer is no, I would not purchase that product. But if it meets a specific need then yes, I would consider the purchase.

Tags: Add Tags