1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does SLI work with Crossfire motherboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Immy, 3 Mar 2008.

1. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

I came across a discussion on Anandtech that claims SLI works perfectly fine with Crossfire motherboards. Specifically the new Rampage Formula by Asus. Is there any truth to this has anyone tested it out and had any success?

As i don't have a crossfire motherboard i wasn't even sure you could use 1 nvidia graphics card in them let alone 2 in SLI.

2. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Ermm, why would you want to do this? If you want to use an SLI set up then get an SLI motherboard, likewise if you're going for Crossfire then get a Crossfire m/b.
    I'd imagine that it might work after a fashion but you wouldn't get the optimum performance, plus from what I've read an SLI set up performs better than a Crossfire setup even when you use correctly matched components but I don't know for sure as I haven't personally tried either.

3. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

Erm perhaps because of the nvidia 780i chipsets being a p.o.s. If you want an Intel X48 chipset they only offer crossfire. The only Intel board that officially has SLI is the new Skulltrail.

Hence my question does Sli work with crossfire motherboards? Does it hinder performance if you were to use 1 nvidia graphics card in a crossfire motherboard?

4. Tidy_Boy

Tidy_Boy What's a Dremel?

You will be fine with one Nvidia Card i dont believe i have heard anyone complaining of performance issues of nvidia cards with intel chipsets. As you know Sli is not support on any intel chipset (Excluding Skulltrail) i believe its down to Nividia wanting to keep there sli support on there own Motherboard chipsets. But as i said you will be fine with a single Nivida GPU

5. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

If you can find hacked drivers it will work, but the last set of hacked drivers I found to open SLI on any chipset was pre-8 series and didn't even have good support for 7950GX2 SLI yet, so they are too old to be worth using, and WinXP only.

It will most likely stay locked, as nVidia uses it as their selling point for their chipsets, which are inferior or costly compared to Intel's offerings lately.

6. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

For multiple GPU environments; SLI only works on SLI boards and Crossfire only on Crossfire boards (unless you can find hacked drivers)

That said, for single card operation any card will work on any board without any issues at all.

7. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Until hacked drivers or hacked BIOSes come out for recent boards, SLi is restricted to old Intel chipsets and nVidia chipsets only.