1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Dog Breath' ad attracts record number of complaints!

Discussion in 'General' started by Atomic, 17 Mar 2003.

?

New Wrigley's Ad: Is it Good, or is it a bit of a Dog?

1. It's Cool!

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. I wish to register a complaint!

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Eh? What new ad?

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

A commercial for Wrigley's chewing gum that features a dog crawling out of a man's mouth has become the most complained-about advert of all time.

A record 570 viewers had contacted TV watchdog the Independent Television Commission by this afternoon and calls are continuing to flood in.

The previous record was held by the Levi's dead hamster ad which prompted 544 complaints in 1998.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_760195.html?menu=

[​IMG]
    Now I thought it was brilliant :D

Last edited: 17 Mar 2003
  2. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I thought it was good.. not especially clever, but well done.

Definately not one for the daytime though.. just because I can see it scaring kids.

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Poll as requested by AWM

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

What's up with all these lame people complaining about little things ffs

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Cheers.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

First time I saw it, I said WTF???
    After that it was just amusing.

Absolutely nothing to complain about, some people really need a good slap around the face and told to grow up.

I mean, who complains about adverts anyway?

I want to see more nudity and more possibly offensive adverts on TV - but only after the watershed ;) TV isn't shocking enough.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

legend, piece of genius
    although i suppose i can see why the advert may want to be after teh watershed, but people being physically sick after seeing it? get a life, i presume these people dont ever watch tv, maybe they dont realise that it ISNT REAL!!

oh deary me:lol:

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

My little cousins (7 & 9) actually sent me the link to the picture because they thought it was brilliant!

It originally came from the CBBC website, which is aimed at young children... seems strange since people were complaining because it was scaring young children :D

9. quack

quack Minimodder

I think we should round up all the people offended by that advert and subject them to a Clockwork Orange style torture. Jam their eyelids open and force them to watch it non-stop for a day :D Maybe that'll de-sensitive them a little.

10. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

As a parent I wouldn't want my kids to see that, I did think it was a bit hard, and can easily imagine some kids having nightmares at that... So I'm the one voting for complain :)

11. Jaz

Jaz Banned

i agree with you quack, the ASA and ITC should be shut down. the watershed should be removed. they ruin lots of good things. the people who complain should be sent to a small island in the middle of nowhere

12. quack

quack Minimodder

I wouldn't go that far. The watershed should be kept, as should the ASA and ITC... and also the BBFC (but they need more young people on the board!!).

There must always be some sort of standard to set, and keeping a 9PM watershed to protect young children from sex, violence and bad language etc is definitely a Good Thing™.

13. Jaz

Jaz Banned

no its not

it should be down to the network. if they think an advert,, tv program etc etc is too bad for before 9pm then fine, but if they think its ok then it should be shown and all complaints should be chucked away.the BBFC should be disbanded and the rating system dropped. a direcotor makes a film to be shown in a certain way, it should be shown in that way, not edited. just like irrerversabl was shown without an edit cause the director would withdraw it from the UK, i feel all directors should take this stance. down with censorship

14. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Your argument, whilst true of films, doesn't work for Commericals (and TV to an extent) though.. daytime programming is aimed at people who are around in the daytime, including that is young kids. So what about this scenario of ads:

Chocolate, Pampers, Loans, Insurance, Toys, Someone getting stabbed in the head, Talc, Loans.

No warning, no advice, just an unsuitable ad for children in the middle of perfectly suitable ads for children. The parent, who is completely entitled to censor what their children watch, couldn't stop their kid seeing it.

It's clear it's really films you think shouldn't be censored, but it can't be applied to all forms of programming..

15. Jaz

Jaz Banned

yes film should defo not be censored, neither should radio or TV. maybe a person being stabbed in the head with a knife isn't suitable between neighbours and quincy but its upto the network to display it or not.

16. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

I thought it was awfull

17. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Will some one jog my memory, i remember no such ad.

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Re: Re: 'Dog Breath' ad attracts record number of complaints!

It was about a hamster called Trevor, who's wheel breaks and he dies of bordem... It sounds harsh now but it was funny :D

19. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Anyone remember the ad that had the company shooting the hamster through a "o" in its name with a cannon? 'Course, it took a few shots to get the aim right...

Anyone got a link to the dog ad?

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I couldn't find the video anywhere, the bestr I got was the pic in the first post.