1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Domain redirection

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TheStockBroker, 6 Jan 2015.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Morning.

Recently bought a domain, pretty much for the sole purpose of just being able to have my own customisable email addresses in the "whateveriwant@mydomain.co.uk" format. I haven't actually got round to doing this yet, but I don't think this will be a problem. (This is mainly stemming from the ludicrous Hotmail and Gmail requirements these days, and the desire to just be able to setup new accounts/aliases at will.)

However, now that I own it, I would also like to make use of it for connections to my home servers. At the moment, as I have a dynamic IP address, I have no-ip dynamic dns setup at router level, and use a xxxxx.no-ip.xxxxx string to connect directly to home, no matter what IP BT may have given me for the day.

Due to the particular type and speed of my FTTH connection, I am forced into using the supplied router, which only supports NoIP, dynDNS, and DtDNS. However, I don't want to pay just to be able to use my own domain for my redirects (NoIP is free if you use their hostnames).

I suspect I'll have used some terminology wrong - but basically, what I think I need is an application installed on one of my machines, that dials out to a (free) service with the current external IP address every now and again, and get my domain to point to this IP somehow?

This must be thing. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance.

TSB

Edit:

Or wait... Is the best (but also most pants) option to just point xxx.mydomain.xxx to my existing no-ip address?

Last edited: 6 Jan 2015
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

A cname record pointing xxx.mydomain.xxx to your noip hostname should work fine, just drop the ttl down on the record