1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!!!!DONE!!!! ««-Twin Turbo­™-»» What the....

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hal, 1 Feb 2005.

1. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

Lookin good. like the custom fans.

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Great work man :) I think you shouldnt use the green light though; Blue and Red all the way :D

3. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

the green light was only for a test... so that i could see how it would look. it will be orange or white, i have not decided yet.

4. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

Oooh nice...

5. Rufus-Seal

Rufus-Seal Guest

:D It looks really great. And the custom led-fan looks very :thumb:

6. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

got some stuff done in the past few days!!!

first, i decided to make a false plexi bottom for the wires and such to hide under.
    [​IMG]

next i got the PSU sleeved and such.. dont know where i saw someone do it like this, but it was an awesoem idea! props to whoever started that!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next i started on the front bezel and smoothed it down and finally got it too look really glossy and nice! i still have to clean it up a bit, like cleaning out all the small holes in the front panel that clear coat dust got into! oh well! tons of cleaning for me! :wallbash:
    i also decided to change up the plexi front window, due to the fact that the clear one looked like ass. so i changed it out with some tinted plexi! woot!

:eeek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a few shots of a pre finished build with rough panels so that i could adjust things properly and work out a few kinks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more to come! :dremel:

7. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Was that paint job done professionally?

If not :jawdrop:

8. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

done by hand, several spraypaint cans, a whole crap load of tape... and more sanding than i want to think about! thanks! it payed off so far! on to the other panels! ugggggg! :rock:

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, but that is a spectacular paint job. Be proud. Be very proud. :rock:

10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Nice to see the Dragons back after a tedious v1000 spell tbh! And as for the orange...I can't say how much I love it!

<A88>

11. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Love the colour theme, the paint job on the bezel is amazing :hip: Care to do mine in silver? :D

12. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

This project kind of reminds of me of another project which was one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately those pictures aren't online anymore, otherwise I'd have given you a link towards it.

My compliments, this case is really turning out good. I love the way you got the gloss to work out like this.

13. douphus

douphus What's a Dremel?

yea that is an amazing paint job i agree. what spray paint did you use. I also got sick of the v1000 mods, I really like the older cases. Booo BTX hooray ATX.

14. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

Damn, the finish on this machine is just georgeous (sp?) great job! Nice idea with the main molex to! (props to who ever gave you the insperation) :thumb:

15. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Love the contrast man. Great job on teh paint. I too am glad to see some more Dragon mods out there. I am workin on one myself.

16. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Damn mannn!

Looks good.
    :wallbash: I was actually going to do an orange and black case and etch flames in the plexi!! Dayum, Now its already been done and I feel like I'd be copying you....Good job though :thumb:
    Oh yeah, for the plexi, light it with LED's they look SOOOO much better then the washed out color that CC's give ya.

17. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

i love that color, chevy orange (i painted my engine the color)

18. ajampaniki

ajampaniki What's a Dremel?

Could u tell us in what order u painted. So basecoat, layers of paint etc. It really lookes amazing.

19. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Well, lets see. for all paint i used the same brand...duplicolor

first i started with cleaning and sanding all the parts of the case. i had to take special care with the front bezel since it was plastic, so i sanded everything down super smooth and took out all the bumps in the plastic so that it would not mess with the finish.
    i next used some adhesion (sp.) promoter followed by flexible spot filler/primer. i then wet sanded this and did another coat of primer.
    [​IMG]

next came the black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i taped off the sides and the parts that i did not want black. i then painted two real thin coats of black. wet sanding with 600 grit after it was dry for 2 days.
    then 2 more coats of balck, and the same thing: 48hour dry time, and wet sanding. finally 2 more thin coats and dry and wet sand.

next onto the orange; i taped up the black and went to town on the orange. same thing.
    [​IMG]

after all this was done (taken about 3 weeks now) i went on to the clear coats. about 2-3 very thin coats of clear then one kind of heavy full coat. dry for at least 48 hours, and then wet sand with 600. after i smoothed everything down and no divits or orange peel, i went on to the smaller grit until i got to 2000 grit. each time i sanded with a smaller grit at perpendicular angles.

after the sanding was done with 2000, on to the rubbing compound. i just took a clean soft 100% cotton cloth and started rubbing it out. right away you can start to see the gloss coming through. keep rubbing till it buffs out. flipping your rag frequently. after that came polishing/glazing compound. same method as above.

and that is where the pictures come from after that step... it will look nicer once i get to put car wax on it, but i have to wait for at least 30 days till the paint and layers are fully cured and will not be harmed by it.

took a lot of time and dedication but i have to give up props to Linear. his guide is what i followed and i will swear by it! as will the pictures! darker colors look nicer, but even colors look really nice and clean!

a small update,
    i got a few things to do with this mod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i will be using some plexi on these and making use of the mesh somehow also! yeah!

and also an idea i had played around with a few weeks back, i think i am going to sand it all down and start over with a new design or not... tell me what you think and help me out on this one! it is far from done, but i did not know about the direction i was taking it. thanks
    here is the project and idea...
    [​IMG]

or should i have it just orange with some black and silver stripes?
    [​IMG]

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    :dremel:

Last edited: 9 Mar 2005
  20. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

any insights or comments? :confused: