1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster dont call me an idiot but.....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by perkins teh modder, 16 Dec 2007.

1. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

i (stupidly!) was messin with 3mm leds while my pc was on, all of the sudden everying shut down with a noise i almost cried about :wallbash: :duh: (dying computer sound). so i caled a friend who is basically a computer god, unfortunately he wasnt there so i unpluged my power supply and plugged it back in and luckily it turned back on and for the first time in my life i was excited to see my bios screen!:clap:

so, i was wondering if that ever happened to any of you and if you knew what the sound was because even though i thought it died it hadnt and it is still perfoming perfectly

plz dont say im stupid (im a noob)

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

youre stupid. :D lol

j/k

what kind of sound?

maybe something shorted out and the power supply turned off to prevent damage? that would be my guess. i would think there would be some sort of safety thing to prevent that.

3. perkins teh modder

it was kind of a popping sound, and one of my friends said to check the wires because they might have burned

4. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you shorted something not-at-0-volts against the case, which causes the PSU to shut off often with a click/pop/pzzt/clunk sound. Sometimes they have a latch so you need to physically remove the mains (which will reset it after a second or so, it'll make a faint 'fsht' noise) before they'll come alive again.
    Also it wont restart while the short is still in place.

Not necessarily a bad thing but probably not that good to do too often! Though they're very fast at picking up on it... I do it with mine from time to time and when shorting the 12v rail directly against the case, the PSU kills the power before there's even enough energy through the tip of the wire to produce a spark; impressive stuff :p

5. perkins teh modder

my psu shut it self like twice before because i was playin with the fans but nothin like this

(btw i had no sparx)

Last edited: 16 Dec 2007
  6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you have a good PSU, and a good case, I would not worry to much. They are designed to take these rare shocks. The shut-down was more of a security measure then anything really bad.

7. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

its happened to me before, even with my 3mm leds i have wired up. one of the soldier joints didnt get covered by heatshrink good and when i turned my pc on i dropped the string of them on the case and it slid across the case n sparked a few times but didnt stay on long enough to do anything to it. you should be fine it happens to everyone

8. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

I've had similar experiences (coz it's such a pain having to shut down the rig to work on it). I'm guessing my psu had a failsafe - I had to unplug for 5 mins, then plug it in before it would start up. As Morris said, it happens to everyone, and we all have that gut-wrenching feeling when it does!

9. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

ya ur like :wallbash: why did i just let it do that for !!!! lol i hope i didnt mess anything up. ive only let mine short bad nuff to shut it off 1 time the other wuz with the leds the other week. all of the psus ive seen have this feature so id say u shouldnt have a problem. just dont do it alot. :wallbash: my psu is a ultra v series 500watt so yea. dont think youll have a problem.

10. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

what case is it because i have a thermaltake armor jr and u can shut it off with having your finger 1/4 of an inch away from the power button!

11. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

True that decent psu's have short circuit protection, but good cases are designed to handle shocks? What happens to cheap cases? do they melt?

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I accidentally hot-swapped a GFX card once. (PCI-express) :duh:

The one I pulled out was a bit damaged (but all dead after this) but the new one i put in worked great. :)

The computer didn't even shut down when i did it... hehe

13. perkins teh modder

using the power button doesnt have anything to do with my psu automatically shutting down though

14. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

no what hes sayin is that some times cases are static sensitive n when u have alot of static on u you can touch metal on the pc case and it will shut off or restart the pc.

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

been there, done that. I almost feel sorry for my comp because how bad I treat it. Done a lot of wiering while its still running, and once in a while there is a "PFFT" sound followed by the sound of total silence. Actually learning the hard way is the best, but not recomended. Nothing bad has really happend but there is always the chance. The worst treatment I ever gave my computer was when hooking up the video output of a video reciever for a wireless camera to the tv-card. I didn't have a suitable powersupply for the the reciever around so I hooked it up to the 12v from the PSU and thought it would be fine. Ended up shorting the ground from the video input to the ground of the 12v or something like that. My PSU didn't shut down as usual this time, instead the power cable acted like a foam cutter, turning red hot, and melting al the plastic around and sending a large stream of smoke up my wall. "luckaly" I only ended up with a broken video reciever and a feeling of stupidity. So check your wires twice before plugging in the power.

/GNU

16. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

Ya, i've blown a PSU by shorting something out while it was on. The smoke and smell told me that I needed to go get a new one...

I was also modding my xbox, and had the psu out of it. I was testing something, and for some reason i had the psu resting in my palm. when i went to plug it in, i felt a little surprise of 120V go thru my palm, and i dropped the psu and broke it...

AND, i was working on my car, and decided to go ahead and cut the +12V and GND line on a light at the same time with some metal wire cutters. When the fuse popped i knew i screwed up.

i think we all do stupid stuff, its not really a n00b thing...

17. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I thought it was bad when I swapped out my video card without unplugging the PC but it was 'off', and realized it after I put the new one in... luckily nothing bad happened.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Swapping components with the AC plugged in isn't normally any problem. I have done that lots of times. It's not recommended, though...

19. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

the 5v standby power was my main concern... hotplugging something that uses the 5vsb could be bad, but I guess the video card didnt use it for anything... thankfully.

20. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

Good lord man, don't play with/plug/unplug anything when your PSU is on :duh:

It should be fine though.