1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Don't Feel I'm Progressing in WoW...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ArtificialHero, 6 Jul 2006.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Hey all,

So I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something in world of warcraft... I've been playing for a while, got to lvl17 with a Night Elf warrior who I got sick of, so I've just started playing as a human warrior, and I'm back up at lvl13. I just feel like I sort of don't know what to do next. What I'm doing is running around areas, looking for any quests available, and then doing all of them. It just seems to take forever and people keep talking about instances etc.... I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that this is really the best way to progress in the game, and that I'm not massively missing something about the game.

Cheers,
    ArtificialHero (aka Dixx in WoW, add me :) )

2. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

No, your not really missing out yet, but the feeling of no progression definately shouldn't arise at such an early level. At best you should working on one town at a time, usually when you finish one area, or atleast complete a majority quest, they give you a delivery mission (or something similar) to a new Town/Zone that should be appropriate for your level. As a level 13 Human, I believe you should be heading to Sentinel Hill soon and fighting the Defias. There is an instance around 20 or so for the Defias Gang called the Deadmines you will coming up on soon.

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

i got to level 42 as a dwarfe hunter. at that point i found myself in desolace... There is quite simply nothing that a lone player can do.. I don't play enough to be properly included in a guild... its just a bit of a pain. I was enjoying it up to that point. Then i canceled my account and don't play any more. Might revive my lvl 23 druid at some point, posibly after my pc is working again.

4. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

If this is your first MMO you definately shouldnt be feeling like that. I remember being complelety encapsulated till about lvl 40. As said before me, work in areas, if you are stuck ask people around or check thottbot (www.thottbot.com).

The level 40 - 45 slump got me i quite and now play FFXI. Its going quite well at the moment.

5. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Bored at level 17 and 13? Shouldn't be that early. Perhaps you should try out different classes and see what playing styles you like. If you haven't already, join a guild, make some friends and it should be more fun to do instances, quests etc. There's always stuff to do in the game... PvP, trade skills and quests of course, tons of those around lol.

For me the awkward periods were around 35-40 and 45-50 region... but they weren't boring enough for me to switch character... especially if you carry on to 60 and start to enjoy the endgame experience, depending on what you want to do of course.

6. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments and advice. I've joined a guild (stormwind crusaders, if you're interested) and had a look at some levelling guides and I think I just kinda misunderstood the area progression of the game - I get it now :). Pretty sick of Kalimdor so I'm gonna stick with my Human for the moment, and I'm certainly not bored any more. Perhaps addicted is a better word... uh oh.

AH

7. Go4t

Go4t i

WoW starts at 60. Yeah the night elf starting area is terrible and elwynn is cake.

8. Thrice

Thrice What's a Dremel?

eheh guys WoW is 1 of the easiest games to progress... I reached lvl 60 twice on 2 shards... u should spend more time in the deserts and with those square-shouldered guys, black-smth cult warriors :) and take gryphon rides to other parts, damn it :p

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You mean the horrible endless grind of 4 hour long instances? Just for the minute chance that some of your epic armour drops, only to be out rolled by some random pickup?

I much prefered the starting area, when everything was new and the "kill x amount of z creature" missions wern't boring.

I got my priest up to level 59, had to leave for uni and couldn't play on the university provided internet so had to give up. At the time I was pissed off, now I feel relieved I don't play it anymore.

I'm not exactly sure why WoW is so popular as it is, looking back, I have no idea what possesed me to continue playing after level 30. I suppose it's that ultimate goal of level 60 dangling infront of you like a carrot on a stick. Once you find the game boring, my advice is to quit, it doesn't get better, infact it gets worse. Don't go "Oh if I just reach level 60 the game will really start", thats what I did, and I really regret wasting so much time playing it.

I might give CoH/CoV a go at some point to see what it's like, it looks interesting, but that will probably get boring too.

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

World of Warcraft has a sort o jingle to it in a sense. It's fun in short doses, but ultimately the pure hype and all the media "Omg best seller of the year, 4 billion subscriptions world wide, launching in Indonesia/china/japan soon!" coverage is what brings everyone and keeps em playing. I dealt with the so called endgame at level 60 and it really burned me out. I only ever truly had fun when it was a new encounter, afterwards it was just a waiting game once you know the fight. I loved dieing on a new boss because we didn't know what to expect and their attacks seemd so massive and godlike. I'm on CoH/CoV, it's fun, but you have to get used to it. The missions are really no different than Warcraft, and lore isn't really present until the higher levels, granted you are technically the "lore" as the game is about your Heroe's rise to greatness.

11. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Pun intended? :hehe:

I think, and this applies to most if not all MMO's, it's really down to who you play with. WoW starts at 60 isn't necessarily true.... you could stay at a particular level and just PvP for fun. But for those who aim for end game raiding.... it's really down to how well the guild is organised and stuff. Rolling on epic drops in an end game instance? No DKP system in place? :(

With Warhammer Online coming soon though I might quit WoW for that if it's good. Concepts seem incredible on paper...

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not as I was writing it but I laughed when I read that sentance through :p

It's true you could stay at a level and play for fun, but you're disadvantaged towards other players, and I know no-one whos goal isn't the big level 60, I missed out on it by about half a level which really pissed me off, I keep thinking about reactivating my account and getting up to 60 but I really can't be bothered with the grind anymore.

Theres also the fact that the game has moved on alot since I've been there, it's totally different now, when I looked in on my guild forums the other month they were talking about bringing damage dealing shadow priests into a raid, when I quit, doing anything buy spam flash heal on anyone was almost enough to get you kicked from the raid.

13. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    If you are new it's always hard to get started.
    Since you are lvl 13 you need to move to sentinal hill(westfall).
    Take on some quest there and once you get lvl 16/17 move to the other side of Elwyn forest to a place called Lakeshire.
    Get some new quest there and once you get lvl 18/19 move back to Westfall to do the Deathmines(a 5-man instance for lvl 18till23)once you "dinged" lvl 20 you can move to Duskwood or Wetlands(prepare for lots and lots of walking)Once you get lvl 25 you can go to Southshore(it's a long walk but it's worth it)You can get till 30 there and from there most lvling guides take over.

As a lvl 60 hunter full tier 2 now trying to proceed in naxx I can say that WoW is all about the item's and the grind to get them.
    Beeing a formal Starwars Galaxies player that has playing since it's release I can say that Pre-CU/CU blew away WoW as MMORPG luckely for WoW SOE came with Civil wars patch and around 80% of the SWG players stept over to WoW or other RPG's.
    WoW is a MMO not a RPG don't exspect a communitie other then your guild.
    There are no events other then BG's, you can't role-play there isn't alot of talking and chatting in the game other then LET THE TANK DO 3 SUNDERS BEFORE DPS!!

WoW is based on 2 things: Items and the grind to get reputation to get more items.
    Since I "dinged" lvl 60 all I have done is farm for money or grind reputation.
    My guild goes raiding 7 days a week each night from 18:00 till 02:00 and between raiding we proceed to farming and grinding.

My advice don't waste your time/money and SOCIAL LIFE on this game.

I am waiting till SWGEMU comes out till then I will be hanging around in IF doing nothing.

GreetZ
    Nick

14. disgruntledgamer

disgruntledgamer What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't call what happens there "progression". In fact, it might just be the opposite.

Other than that, tonight I don't have anything good to say about WoW so I'll heed the age ol wisdom that if I don't have anything good to say...don't say anything at all.

However, I doubt that will last long.

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

At such an early level its hard to see where the game goes, however it does go somewhere. IMO if you get to lvl 60 and dont find the BIG instances such as molten core, blackwing lair or bigger interesting THEN you should give up - but the first time you level a char is pretty good. Find a guild that isnt focused on high level pve, make some friends and just try to enjoy the game :)

Questing follows a logical progression, so if you just keep going itll get better - the low level quests are all fairly rubbish anyway.

edit: oh, and get in guilds with friendly talkative people. One guy above said all thats usually said is "let the tank get 3 sunders" where tbh is rubbish, at least as far as my guild goes. Its very talkative and if it wasnt for the people I dont think I would play.

16. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Be careful AH!
    WoW can be very addicting once you start hitting higher levels...believe me im in search of a year of my life that went missing.

17. lnr

lnr What's a Dremel?

Heh, I got my Lvl 40 mount and my work was done.
    haven't looked back :D

18. nimbu

nimbu Modder

I kinda know how the Op feels. I started wow on euro release with some friends from another game. Them being bums and not having real lives or work meant that they got to lvl 60 a hell of a lot faster then me. I found a couple of guilds along the way but most if not all wanted a commitment that I couldnt provide. (I cant raid @ 5pm every day, and not spend the whole of my sunday online.) Plus my enhancement shammy aint loved too much.

So once I got him to 60, I started a priest, have got him to lvl 32, but now just dont have the will to grind my way up to 60.

Nims

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

What did it for me in the end really was how long it took to travel anywhere with that damn griffon system. This game is supposedly aimed at the casual gamer as well as the hardcore, but I don't think a 15min griffon ride is something a casual player would think as acceptable. Sure, it's alot quicker than walking there, but it still can take a very long time to get anywhere.

20. Overlord

Overlord What's a Dremel?

You know I feel sorry for you. I dont mean it in a bad way. I've been there threw 14 months of my life on this crap, and couldnt get out. The Guild disbanded and I was gutted, cancelled the subs 5 days later.

I keep going back to the official forums to see whats happening and im just shocked at the state the community is in. It was bad when I was playing but being away from it you dont realise how bad it really is. All I can say is never again. Im dabling in a bit of EQ2 and its not bad.

Also I've claimed my life back.

The thing that amazes me about wow is that people slate it, but still play it. Ive never known a game where the people that play it actual hate playing it. Bizarre.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2006
Tags: