1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

don't know what to pursue in college

Discussion in 'General' started by f U z ! o N, 15 Mar 2005.

1. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

well i am getting ready to graduate high school in about 2 months. i need to decided what to do in college. im going to a local community college. my interests are computers, cars, and building/working on things. ive taken computer upgrade and repair 1 and 2 and a networking class. im in the second part of the networking class right now. i really don't find networking that great and don't know if i should continue to pursue that field. i really don't find circuit boards that interesting either.(i don't have any electrical experience.) i did enjoy woodshop class because it was fun to build things and play with power tools. as for cars, well i dont have really any experience at all with them. i do find them interesting and am willing to learn about them.
    i don't really know what to pursue. enginerring, automotive, computer engineering, the list goes on. i don't enjoy programming either.
    please try to help me lol

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Well as someone who will admit now.. he's royally f'd his life up... quite majorly...

You will never really know what you want to do.. if you do... then you're DAMN lucky...

I went to 6th form... and was doing Law, Psych, Maths, Computing.. I'm in my second year ... and flunked everything 'cept computing.. (which I got B) Now i'm doing Psych (retake... and hating it.) Computing A2, Media, ICT (aaand hating it... retards the lot of them... excel weilding retards)

I have a strong feeling that due to my poor attendance I will be kicked out or at least not allowed to attend a 3rd year (to get full A levels)

So in other words... if you think you can do it... then pick some options which will maybe intrest you... do NOT do things that you think will be toooooo easy (like ICT for me... cause you'll never end up doing it cause it's retardedly simple) and just... actually attend.

3. Jaxx

Jaxx What's a Dremel?

You may have answered your own question right there :)

If you can get a job doing something you enjoy day in day out, you are set for life.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

When I studied Forestry for my undergaduate degree our departmant had a construction materials and wood technology degree. Really cool stuff. They did stuff like build bikes out of wood, and lightweight airframes out of wood and ..and.. and.. all out of wood.

So if you are really thinking about this, it exists. Just look for it.

5. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

Well I did Pure Maths with Stats, Human Biology & Chemistry for A-Levels.

Then went and did a bachelor of Science in Robotics & AI.

Then joined the Army :duh:

However when I was in, I got my MCE, A+, Various graphic qualifications, all courtesy of Her Royal Highness, The Boss.

Depends what you want to do as a career, I didnt know so I joined army to buy myself sometime, as employers always look well on military time (Unless you were dishonourable discharged - Then you'll never get another job unless its like McDonalds, and even then you might be pushing it)

If you want a safe bet, go into Tech Support, Computer Tech/Engineer, Software engineer.

There will always be idiots in the world, so there will always be tech support *Remembers the time when he was told about a man who put his credit card in his floppy drive, whilst trying to do an online transaction*

6. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Sounds like a,list of things you DONT like to do TBH. :eyebrow:
    Woodwork was fun cos of the powertools? That might wear off after a couple of years.

The advice given o me was: "Go with what you enjoy.", but maybe you should assess why you enjoy those things. I can see the logic, if you enjoy something, you'll stick with it through the hard times. BUT If you enjoy woodwork because they let you poke wood with a drill, I can't see you lasting the course.
    Automotive seems good for you, and IT Tech support. Go with what you think you will enjoy the most for the longest, and may have a career ahead of you. Automotive engineering is good, but is there a CAREER there?

7. f U z ! o N

well i not only enjoyed the power tools, i enjoyed designing and building things. i always have enjoyed it. heck when i was like 12 i built my own clubhouse in my neighborhood. the frame was there, but i added a roof, deck, and walls to it all on my own. i enjoy using my imagniation and creativity. to be honest, i don't think i want to go to work and just fix peoples problems over the phone or in a business. i want to be working on things.

8. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Architecht (sp*) or joiner :thumb: (well thats the two jobs that scream out at me from what youve said).

Death

9. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

you sound like an engineer to me. 'nuff said :D

10. f U z ! o N

i enjoy a lot of different things thats the hard problem deciding on what to do. a lot of things interest me. i find programming interesting but its not where i want to be. i tried some visual basic and wanted to pull my hair out. lol. i thought electrical engineering would be cool but we did an electrical lab in networking. i found it boring as i didn't even know what i was doing. im not saying that i hated it because i didn't understand, i just didn't find poking around with wires that interesting. woodshop was absolute fun! designing bridges and towers out of balsa wood to see whose could hold the most books was awesome. building breadboards(not electrical stuff but actual bread) was cool and not to mention the toolbox and shelves i built. i used to really love architecture but i grew out of it i dont know why. i really love case modding because i can design and build something to how i want it. don't get me wrong i like computers but i don't know if its where i want to be. where i live its hard to get a computer job. construction is the big thing around here and i don't want to move away. as for computers i like playing around with them. i know i don't want to program(don't see how you guys remember all that stuff :confused: ) as for networking it's somewhat fun but after 5 weeks of ip's and subnetting i still cannot properly subnet an ip. i don't want to go to a job and trouble shoot someone's computer problems or network problems. kinda a stuck decision lol. thanks for all the help

as for engineering what do you think a good engineering field would be? and no electrical engineering

Last edited: 15 Mar 2005
  11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I 2nd what Lorquis said

"You will never really know what you want to do.. if you do... then you're DAMN lucky..."

I've also really messed up once big style and i'm about to again :duh: . What ever you do, make sure your willing to cary it through till the end its pointless doing half a course (and wasting your life) to realise halfway through that you dont wanna do what you intended to do.

12. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

You really have to just go with your gut. It's one of the most difficult decisions in life but unfortunately one that has to be made.

You need to imagine waking up everyday doing pretty much the same thing day in and day out. Then narrow you list down to all those that you don't think would drive you mad if you had to do them every day.

Be realistic as well. If you want to do something in a niche area where there aren't that many jobs you may have to study for an extended perior of time, consider relocating and possibly work for very low pay coveribg the ground work (which may be mundane) until you have the experience to get the 'right' job.

It's best not to worry too much, it's never to late to change... I know a few people who totally switched career 10-15 years into their working lives. One from a chippy to a server engineer!

13. f U z ! o N

yeah jet but the thing is im not rich so i need to decide what to take and not waste money. for me to get an IT job it would probably mean relocating. there's a small chance i could get a computer job here but it wouldn't be that great of one, probably tech support, repairman, network tech stuff...which i don't like lol

14. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Again with the negative vibes! How about, instead of all this stuff you don't like and all your babyish whining about what you dont wanna do, you give us a list of 5 things you enjoy and would consider career-worthy and we pick one for you?

15. padair

padair Inebriated

The obvious answer to your question is GIRLS ;) (couldn't resist that - sorry)

That is the most important thing :)

I used to be an Employment Officer in a Jobcentre (for 4 years in the mid 90's), it was always easier to deal with people that where looking for jobs that interested them rather than one that paid lots of money. Dont forget that most of the highly paid jobs are usually the most poorly paid at the beginning / training phase.
    In my experience, most people that go to college / uni never end up using their qualifications, the way they envisaged when they started their course.
    Thats why I took a sideways move to become a Tech Suppport bod, driving about the country fixing hardware. My degree is in Biology and I did a Masters in Communicating Science, I havent worked in any science related field since 1995.

16. f U z ! o N

ok here goes.
    1. building things
    2. designing things
    3. computer repair
    4. networking
    5. cars

17. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I appreciate the money issue as much as the next person and that you want to make the right decision the first time round but remember that it's not the end of the world if you make a mistake.

I'd go for something that combines:

1. building things
    2. designing things

Maybe buidling houses (?) they're mostly of wooden construction in the states?

18. NissanFrontier

NissanFrontier What's a Dremel?

Open up your own car customizing shop. You can design things to put in it and make computers and stuff like that. You could use wood for the speaker boxes and stuff like that. I combined them all :D

You could also work in research and devlopment at somewhere like GM or Ford.

19. f U z ! o N

that would be freakin awesome. to have my own customizing shop would be sweeet!

20. Mombassaa

Mombassaa What's a Dremel?

im 17, didnt no wot i wanted to do.

then sat down and rote a list of things i like doing

"i dont like school, however i like P.E lessons...
    i like goin out, i like adventurous stuff..."

eh anyway i decided going full time college doing A levels wud just batter my brain.

i thought about some kind of graphic design or web design sort of field, but as i looked into the future of this i saw by the time i was around mid age, there would be some wizz kid kicking my ass ( sadly happend to about 4 of my fathers close friends)

so...i went to college for a trade.

im a bircklayer, went to college for 1 year, now working (8 or something months in) should get my NVQ2 this june, then go to level 3 next year.

i love the job, the money is alright, and will be miles better fully qual.
    and also, once uve got a trade it never leaves u, always there to fall back on, always work

to be honest, sit down with a pen and paper, and do wot i did, blow ur mind onto it.

hope my very long essay helped :)