1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Dont know what TV Tuner to use?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by h00x, 19 May 2008.

1. h00x

h00x New Member

Hi,

I've been looking around at all the different TV tuner cards available and the more I look the more I seem to get confused.
    Basically I’m currently speccing a new setup for my lounge, where am coming to a brick wall though is on which is the best way to connect my Virgin Media set top box to the media centre.

Obviously I'm going to be using a scart to composite cable ( as after read lots of posts I believe this is the best and easiest way to do it)

But what is the best tv tuner card to do it, I'm not too fussed about being able to watch one channel and record another as long as it works.

I would like to be able to use the MCE front end for everything but I've also read that the remote controls for virgin media cause problems as well.

Any input would be much appreciated.

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

You need an analogue card, if you use mce then it has to have a hardware encoder i.e the pvr150 (I used the pvr usb2 from hauppauge and a mce remote with ir blaster)from hauppauge. I used to do this with gbpvr (similar to mediacentre) and a programme called HIP to control the blaster. I had the samsung 2110 set top box that had issues with two numbers sent the same i.e channel 110 only 10 would be passed to the set top box but there are ways around this.
    Alternatively you could break t&c and use a dvb-c card i.e fire-dtv to do away with the set top box altogether, but I gather this is not easy.

3. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Just to forewarn you - the quality is going to be crap.

4. h00x

h00x New Member

yeah been looking at the pvr 150 earlier think its what I'm going to go with

and yes wywywywy I know the quality will be crap but it seems the best and only solution as to what I want as well as reducing all the boxes under my tv as its getting a little clutered at the moment.

5. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

I personally don't think it is the best/only solution.
    If you Virgin box has an aerial out, you'd be much better off getting an analogue TV tuner card (instead of a video capture card) and enjoy far superior quality for less hassle and money. You won't need the Virgin remote either.

Or even better yet, get a DVB-C tuner card and an appropriate CAM and ditch the Virgin box altogether. But it is a bit complicated to setup.

6. h00x

h00x New Member

had a quick look and your right thanks for the advice the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1300 is a few quid cheaper and a quick bit of research around shows these yield better picture quality

thanks for the heads up

Tags: