1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't park near the water! (pics)

Discussion in 'General' started by CyberSol, 17 Feb 2005.

1. zx2assassin

zx2assassin What's a Dremel?

All I have to say is :jawdrop:

2. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

I doubt that it was one big wave that froze, because to freeze all the water that fast would take an air temperature well below anything that occurs on earth. It looks as if it is a constant misting/freezing process that built the ice onto everything along the shore.

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

you're too smart for your own damn good. :miffed:

besides, one wave would have connected the trees to the street in an arc of ice. the water did hit, freeze a bit, then repeated.

4. rarich

rarich What's a Dremel?

I am sure those ice sickles hanging off the bottom eventually support some of the weight, but I would not be surprised if some springs end up broken. That kind of cold can do bad things to metal.

5. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

Thanks for more info!

No, i don't go to school in CO

I live in the *great* (pfffft) state of idaho. :waah:

6. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

It aint flash freezing, its just a constant night of spray coming up from the rocks, with wind, as the water sprays up, freezes...then sprays up again freezes, and if you look, the icicles are facing away from the sea, so the wind is coming from the sea, and the unfrozen droplets of water that have just come up from the spray are pushed away from the wind, then freeze, and this repeating process creates the weird icicles over the place (like back of bench, water gets there, freezes, then drips down whilst freezing...

Its just small amounts of water freezing repeatedly over a long period of time (aka a night, so the waves hitting every say 5 seconds, is what over a night of 10 hours, is 7200 times a night) which is alot of water!

Think how staylactites (sp?) are formed, its like that but over a smaller period of time...

Pretty damn cool though I must say

- M@

7. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

There was a huge apartment fire just down the street from my place two days ago, and all the cars that were near by look identical to that. They were spraying water on the building well past midnight and the fire started at 9:00 am, so the cars had all day to get very wet. I imagine it will take a long while to let all that ice melt, unless they can break it off but I'd be afraid of breaking piece off the car.

Oh, and I got an e-mail with all those pictures saying they were taken in Newfoundland but odds are they were taken somewheres else.

8. A[L]C

A[L]C What's a Dremel?

wow they're amazing!

9. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

not if you lit a fire near them :D

10. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

Yes............. :sigh: :duh:

11. rarich

rarich What's a Dremel?

Call one of those sidewalk cleaner guys with a steam cleaner....... he should be able to get rid of most of it, just make sure you have chains on. I expect the ice on the road is as bad as on the cars.