1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Time zone differences would make it a little unlikely, but I'd be in for some Dota.

Cocakoala should get you my Steam account.

2. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Lulz. :hehe:

That profile link didn't work for me :3

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I might have changed the Cocakoala to something more sloth related and forgotten, I'll check what it is when I'm at my home PC later.

If you're feeling eager you can look through the Bit Steam group for Sleepysloth. :D

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Requested key, hopefully get on with some of you.

5. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Windrunner isn't really a carry to start with. She's a Semi-carry/support.

Now, you're tainted by your LoL way of thinking where every carry must get lifesteal in order to get some survivability. In Dota lifesteal isn't nearly as prolific, and is only really useful on high-damage ranged (like Drow) or melee champions. It's almost always better to build a good survivability item than lifesteal.

Now, on WR probably the best survivability item is Linken's Sphere. It works like Banshee's, blocking a (targeted) spell every 20 seconds, and gives you +10 of each stat plus a good amount of HP + Mana regen to boot.

Again the issue here is you're looking for lifesteal opposed to something that makes you tanky. If you want armor, build Agi. If you want HP, build Str. You more want to be building survivability items (BKB, Linken's, Helm et al.) rather than just a specific 'stat' like lifesteal. Active effects are probably more important than passive items in Dota, so learning the items properly is crucial.

You always get more damage from +Dmg items than +Stat items that are similarly priced. That's the biggest difference.

WR's ult comes with a facet - She gets no orb effects and reduced damage whilst it is active, it has a fairly long cooldown and it can only be used vs. a single target. As soon as you start firing at someone else the effect drops and you return to normal attack speed. I don't usually get Ult on WR until last because it's so niche and kinda useless tbh.

Drow Ranger (and basically every other Agi carry) get more damage because building Agility both increases damage (because it's their primary stat) and attack speed as a bonus. This is why most carries are Agility.

You don't build damage on Windrunner simply because it's not worth it - her power doesn't primarily come from her right-click damage. Her power comes from a fantastic long-range nuke, a fantastic escape mechanism and a really fantastic almost-4-second-two-target-disable. She's a semi-carry for these reasons, not her right-click. Basically, she's not agility so it's not worth building her primary stat as all you gain is a big mana pool. There are a couple of exceptions - Force Staff is good for both the damage increase, the cost and the utility. Orchid Malevolence is good because it has a long silence and increases damage dealt to a target. Plus it gives a lot of Mana regen, allowing WR to spam. You're confusing killing power with right-click damage, which is a holdover from League.

The Str/Agi/Int system isn't what creates varied heroes. It's the heroes' abilities and the way they interact with certain items that creates varied heroes.

And there's your problem. They are very different games and you can't apply the thinking from one to the other. If you want to learn Dota you need to learn Dota, not what Dota does different from League, not what's similar.

Active effects are the bread-and-butter of Dota. When you build a BKB, you build it for the Active effect - magic immunity. You don't build it for the +10 Str or the +24 Damage. Active effects are often the primary reason to buy an item.

EDIT: If you guys want to add me on Steam the link is in my Sig. You can PM me with questions and I'll play with you and teach you some things if you wish.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2012
  6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well, having played one game, it's clear I'm out of my league here. I think I need to play alongside someone who knows the game to some degree and can teach. Same as every other DOTA style game I guess :/ The learning curve is massive.

7. nchhabs

Added you Phalanx, although I'm not particularly good - sometimes it's fun to have other people to queue with.

Aside, quite enjoying playing Pudge; getting a long hook off through fog of war really is satisfying. Still working on quickly following up with ulti + rot though, and getting used to rot range.

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Thanks Draca, I'll have a word with you tonight and see about getting on mumble or something if you're around.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I only disagree with this one little bit. As with everything in Dota, her ult can be very useful early on if you want to make it useful. It melts towers even at rank one and your Power Shot destroys creep waves, if you lane with another good pushing hero you can take some very early tier 1 towers. Just take your own lane's, take mid's, then take the opposite's. By the time you get a good push at each tower your ult should be back up.

Shadow Shaman is probably the most potent one to lane with that comes to mind. You get three great disables, two great nukes, and two amazing tower pushing ults. Shadow Shaman's also helps Windrunner because they provide targets for the tower to shoot before her so she can get her whole duration off.

Leshrac is another good lane partner, had an enemy team do this last night. It's only a little bit worse at killing towers but in my experience is more ganky thanks to Lesh's higher damage output than Shadow Shaman.

Any other strong pusher will work as well (Venomancer, Death Prophet, etc.) but I like those two most because they give the most ganking potential as well.

A couple Pudge fun facts:
    -You can toggle rot while ulting. (Witch Doctor can toggle his heal while ulting as well iirc)
    -Your passive is retroactive, if you pick it up after getting kills you still get stats for them. (Silencer's similar passive does not do this)
    -Your ult can hold targets under the effect of Black King Bar or Omniknight's Repel. Your target will be immune to the ult's damage but will be held in place and unable to act. (There are various "superior magic" effects such as these)

10. nchhabs

Yeah, found out the ult disable goes through BKB tonight, was a nice surprise hehe.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As you can likely already guess this makes abilities capable of doing so very important for countering some heroes. A fair number of carries really rely on either a BKB or their own ability's similar effects, particularly ones like Lifestealer, Lycanthrope, Ursa, et cetera that rely on their uninterrupted autoattacks to stay alive. Holding one typically means a death sentence for them as your team focuses them.

Just be careful around Lifesteal and Ursa if your team isn't there to follow up. The former will do percentage based damage that will munch down even your large health pool, and Ursa will do more and more damage the longer you fight.

12. nchhabs

13. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Just on the retrospective passive of pudge vs silencer. You only get the intel on silencer when they die whilst under the effect of last work.

Hence y it dosnt work retroactively or for every kill.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

And if your luck is anything like mine the game will find plenty of frustrating ways to make sure the enemies aren't under the effect of it. :lol:

Radius of 750 on Last Word, Silencer's auto attack range is 600. I toss out an attack against an enemy Queen of Pain while she's running away. During the time it takes for the attack to travel to her and Silencer to stop attack and start running again QoP has moved 150 units away from me and I don't get any Int when the attack kills her. Not teleporting, just walking. :wallbash:

15. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Its not your attack......last word affects them when they use an ability near u.

Then last word is on them for the whole duration no matter how far away they move. SO if your not getting the INT, its due to the time has lapse not the distance. THe distance however will determine weather they are under the effect of it or not.

It can get really annoying, when 3 or 4 ppl die right after the effect wears off. -_-

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Really? Well no wonder then!

I think HoN's equivalent was just in range, forget the hero's name already. It seemed to get stacks far faster than the couple times I've played Silencer.

17. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Just recieved an invite to play this from Steam.

Never played the original, just a little LoL so this should be interesting!

18. josephlck

josephlck What's a Dremel?

Hey I just though I'd revive this tread! I've played for awhile now but mainly against the computer controlled bots and a friend of mine. Would love to set up some friendly games with some of the Bit-tech people.

Dota 2 is shaping up to be a really great game with an excellent competitive scene. Currently, Valve is sponsoring a mega tournament with a $1,000,000 first prize/!

The game itself has some really great strategy and skill involved. I'm not an amazing player but I have a sound technical knowledge and will be happy to help anyone along.

Some useful sites include joinDota and PurgeGamers. The latter has some nice resources.

Finally, add me on steam! MasterProcrastinator

Ps. Official trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxbKMhcv5k&feature=fvst

19. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

One of the best games I've ever played. Only thing that makes me rage is whining bitches abusing team mates after first minute of game.

New player advice, don't go carry. If you play support, support by buying wards, courier and team items etc. So many supports fail at this. Oh and team composition is vital but tbh even people with 200+ games still fail to grasp this aspect, a lot of people set out finding a match having already picked a hero and don't care if it doesn't work well.

Honestly, I watched a load of live games and practice with bots on heroes I liked the look of when I first got beta access having never played a game like this before. Just played defensively and supported the more experienced players. Some people don't realise that little things can help out and there's nothing worse than being in a game you know you are going to lose and it taking 40 mins to end. Help your team by helping yourself

20. josephlck

josephlck What's a Dremel?

Totally agree. Another bit of advice is don't chase kills! Kills are not important. Winning the game is and that comes from taking down towers, supporting your carry and good solid teamwork :D