1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DPDT dual cathode setup?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Floydian, 20 Aug 2002.

1. Floydian

Floydian What's a Dremel?

Is it possible to switch between two cold cathode bulbs by using a dpdt switch inbetween the bulbs and the inverter?

Like:
    Code:
          bulb 1 -
                - 

bulb 2  - 
                  -

to inverter -
                -

On/off/on type? They wouldn't be powered at the same time, but switching between the two.

I'm not sure of the right type of switch, but would you need a special switch since its higher voltages? Or is there any dangers in doing this :eek:

2. CrazyJester

CrazyJester What's a Dremel?

you only really need a SPDT switch. I don't think 1000v or whatever a CCFL is at will jump the gaps in one, but you may want to just hook it up and try... you'd do it like this:
    Code:
                    SPDT
                     o------- +CCFL1- -----|
             +  -----o                     |
    Inverter         o------- +CCFL2- -----|
             -  ---------------------------|
    However, http://www.pcconsultant.com/lampfaq.htm says
    "Can I hook up more than one lamp to an inverter?
    No. Each lamp requires it's own inverter. Also, don't plan on using a selector switch on the lamps to connect multiple lamps to one inverter. Even though a selector switch would let you have only one lamp "active" at a time, the voltage levels are too high to successfully switch them using a selector switch.

Bottom line: Each lamp requires it's own inverter, period. With a little ingenuity, you can conceal the inverter so it doesn't show."

Last edited: 20 Aug 2002