1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Drag car

Discussion in 'General' started by grritsshawn, 4 Sep 2011.

1. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

Okay well my dad is asking me what i want for a grad gift i got 15k max to spend so i was thinking of building a street legal drag car

Car-1997 camaro ss(330 bhp) or 1998-2002 camaro z28(303 bhp)
    The car its self is about 4-7k and both do a 1/4 mile in a little over 13 seconds

Mods i wanna do
    1- supercharger
    2-headers
    3-intercooler
    4-megan racing exhaust
    5- hood with big scoop(not the rice hoods ethier)
    6-roll cage
    7- maybe a nos setup

My goal is about 500+bhp i no with supercharger alone 450bhp is very easy to gain.
    The track I will be mainly racing on is an 1/8 mile strip and i would like to be getting 5-6 seconds and possible 90+mph.
    Longer term goals-
    1.paint job
    2. get to 600bhp
    3. get plexi windows and backseats replaced with a fiberglass speaker system
    4. Do a 1/4 in under 10 seconds

Questions i got are
    Will a chevy 428 block fit into the camaro and will twin superchargers with separate intakes help or are they a waste.Also what other mods could i do to gain bhp

2. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

Reason why im choosing a Supercharger over a turbocharger are as is
    1. Supercharger doesn't have a delayed boost and will give boost almost as soon as car starts
    2. Turbos have a short life span due to oil being baked inside of them after car is off
    3. turbos make a lot more heat and require a lot of tuning to be done to be fully affective
    4 I no 2 small twin turbos will make a shorter delay and produce more power then a supercharger but as a drag car i need power off the line not half way down it.
    5. Turbos cost more and cost more to take care of unlike superchargers they are alot cheaper to maintain

Why an automatic
    Automatic are better for drag racing don't know why but if you do research and ask pro drag car racers their cars are automatic.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Probably asking the wrong forum here dude. I don't think many of us do this sort of thing.

Although if you want an in car PC, you've got all the help you need :thumb:

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Everything you ever wanted to know about what you want to do is here.

Also, automatics are great for the average drag racer. But the fastest cars are manual...with the best drivers. Chances are, for your dad, an auto is indeed the best choice.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If I were you I'd not start with the engine. I'd start with gears. Lower axle ratio would shave half a second off without touching the engine. It depends whether you want to compromise the on road drive ability or not.

A decent set of drag radials at the back would shave another 3 or 4 tenths off as well.

Is the car auto or manual? If auto, then a higher stall speed torque converter is a must for clean, fast launches.

Get all this done first before you start thinking about power.

A 428 will fit, but you can do a great deal with the 350 and 346.

If you go as far as you plan, don't forget there are certain safety requirements for cars of this power on the strip, such as one piece prop shafts and prop shaft hoops, roll cages etc.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

1. Take 15k.
    2. Find bank with nice interests.
    3. Wait 5 or 10 years until you have to buy your own house.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

Don't spend the money on something as silly as a car. Save them for when you need them more!

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

^^^ This gentleman does make a good point, no matter how much I like cars. Plenty of time to play with cars when you're older. Stick that 15K in a high interest account, and in a few years you've got a decent deposit on a house.

8. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Automatic? You americans dissapoint me.

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I got a quid for my university graduation...

10. Jumeira_Johnny

You Europeans (I LOL that I say this like I'm not one) don't have a history of drag racing. What on earth do you need to downshift for when you are going in a straight line as fast as possible? As I said earlier, the fastest 1/4 mile times in the US are being posted by great drag racers with manual transmissions, but for the average driver an automatic with a good stall converter is a better option in 1/8 and 1/4 mile drag racing. He's not wanting to build a car for Laguna Seca.

Also, "American" is a proper noun and so is capitalized, even when plural.

This is great advice.

The LS series of engines have a 427 and not 428. nit picky, but the 427 is a legendary motor (I know, if you round it correctly it's a 428 but it's always been called a 427 since the Yanko days). Any LS series of engine will fit, since the engine mounts and general dimensions are the same across the line since the LS2. The issue you will run into will be the accessory drive belts. But there is a tone of after market stuff out there and lots of knowledge floating around. Also, with a V8, you use twin turbos but only one super charger....generally. If you can get your hands on LS3 heads, then take a look at Whipple superchargers. Right now they are the out put champions in the LS3 market.

TBH, you need to do a little more research here, because over 400hp and you need to look at a new fuel delivery system along with bigger injectors and a forged rotating assembly. Take a few days and read everything you can over at LS1TECH, then branch out to a few other GM/LS/Camaro sites like Camaro5. Trust me everything you want to do has been done....often and on various budgets.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2011
  11. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

If you're going to be a grammar nazi, Capitalized is actually spelt Capitalised. British English existed long before than the American derivative, and thus is the correct way to spell words.

12. Jumeira_Johnny

Only when you are in England. I think the spelling variations between British English and American English are well documented, while the capitalization of proper nouns remains constant. Since I'm an American, and use American English, I'll stick to the proper spelling in my language.

Remember, Victorian English existed before modern British English, yet you don't use it. If you want to be a tit, learn Ost Frisian and then correct me.

Back on topic, if you really want to build a safe 500+hp engine, send your block over to RHS and let them inspect it and re sleeve it. But Pook is is right, the engine isn't the place to start (aside from making sure it's in good shape). If you are buying a used Camaro, keep in mind it might have been seriously abused and then returned to "stock". Going over base HP with an engine like that has some serious risks.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2011
  13. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Awesome idea OP, I've had the same one too many times :D

The thing is, this sort of thing can literally take over your life... not just the time working on it, or the money on parts, there's the cost of the tyres and fuel it will burn through, going out anywhere will be damn expensive, and that's if you don't break any parts (lol@ppl talking about driving around in a manual drag car!) or get a speeding ticket or lose your license or wrap it around a pole, etc :sigh: All this hassle for what? A number on a drag strip? Or so you can reach warp speed infront of your mates whilst dodging pedestrians?

Why not get the Camaro, and just do a few tweaks, such as stereo, suspension, intake and exhaust?
    It will be fast enough, look and sound great, and it won't CONSTANYLY eat all your time and money... you can probably find a Camaro that has had this done already for ~$6k? The leftover cash can go towards a holiday or property, etc.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I'd reckon (though I have no experience worth mentioning in that matter) that jsut dropping weight alone would already make the car a good bit faster. Drop the rear seats, put in good, lightweight buckets (They save lives, you know).

The Engine should be the last thing you touch. First make sure that the car is as fast as it'll go without any engine tweaks. And make sure you can climb out of it again if something happens.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Buy a classic motor and restore it? The gift marks a milestone in your life so if it were me I would like something I could keep.

16. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Pictures :)

17. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I have a hovercraft and it has the same effects - eats cash for a number on a racetrack. Although argueably I use it for getting to the house when the valley floods.

As a result it's laid up for the moment whilst I'm concentrating on the rest of my life so I don't get distracted - you'll get annoyed using it as a street car after a while, which means you have to buy a 2nd more convenient car and all the cost / hassle / space it will use up so it's a lot more effort than you realise...