1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dragon Age 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

sounds a little disapointing, i loved the first, rekiddled my love of RPGs with its humor... led to me playing the witch which is even better.

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Sounds as tedious as I was expecting. Shame. Is Bioware's head of 'maturity' some pimply teenager or what? How long are they going to keep pushing this ridiculous 'sex + gore = mature' line? It's embarrassing more than anything. Maturity = character development with emotional attachment to said characters, not thinly-veiled (or unveiled) references to threesomes, blowjobs etc etc or being able to get a lapdance. 'Lean forward'; 'Lean back'. Sigh.

4. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I wish i never read this review...

DA:O was typically a traditional RPG which i loved. I can't help but feel that they've taken too much from ME2's book here. I hate how devs recently keep taking more and more customisation out from this genre and make it supposedly more streamlined, for the mass's

Plus i never understood Bioware's stance on sex, I don't care not believe in censorship but the content they add is just pointless.

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Whoever owns the rights really needs to make Baldurs Gate 3.

7. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Bummer!!!

I have preordered this! I loved the last game but this one sounds dumbed down like ME2! poooo

8. Jezza

Jezza What's a Dremel?

Maybe most of BioWare's talent is working on ME3 and SWTOR because it sounds like they weren't as focussed on this one.

9. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Still can't believe they thought it would be good for enemies to explode in a cloud of red when poked with a sword, like a Ribena filled balloon... That picture on the first page of the review just looks ridiculous... VERY disappointed Bioware.

D+. Must Try Harder - See Me.

10. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Didn't play the first game but tried the demo of the second - thought it looked a bit poor. Voice acting seemed below average, with all the female characters sounding identical. Or that was the impression i got.

Plus was getting graphical glitches on my 5870.

11. kaz1989

kaz1989 What's a Dremel?

Pretty much what I was expecting TBH. I'm hoping that they don't rush Mass Effect 3 like they did this. I love the Mass Effect series and really don't want Bioware to sell out to EA and release ASAP for sales.

12. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Well I pre-ordered this a while back (and pre-loaded it now too) so I'm sure it'll be a good 20+ distraction anyways.

I'm looking forward to seeing the hi-res textures in action with DX11 though, the demo was lackluster to say the least.

13. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Nice review Joe, cheers. Looks ok but it lacks a bunch of things I enjoyed about the original, like the classic UI and the ability to customize every character in quite some detail. This will have to wait until a Steam sale I think...

14. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This is pretty much the tone and sentiment I was expecting for this review - Everything I had seen in previews and press releases hinted at precisely this outcome for DA2.
    I never really got into DAO much - I think the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" hype killed it for me by dishonestly raising expectations; and the 'streamlining' for DA2 just puts me off straight away.

15. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Yeah really annoyed me, and shield "wall" on the demo looks unbelievably stupid, in DA:O shield wall made you look all defensive, in this you start doing what i can only describe as fencing, with you shield hand up near your head. Looks ****ing stupid.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

This. The exact same thing killed it for me. DA:O had nothing on BG, and despite trying my hardest to get in to it, I just couldn't. Tried twice as well. Both times got about 6 hours in and just couldn't be arsed.

Games are getting easier and more simple every year, an DA2 is a good example of that. Made it more action based, made/kept it "mature" and cut it down to three classes. There were classes in BG2 that had more than three sub-classes.

I'm all for streamlining something if it truly means streamlining, but cutting things out does not make it more intuitive. And I do agree with the argument of doing some things well rather than a lot of things so-so, but we know that Bioware can do a million things incredibly, so I can't help but feel disappointed with everything that they do recently. I do love ME and ME2, but even there the obvious gutting of everything is readily apparent. I think the last "wow" game from Bioware was probably KotOR, and that had some issues of its own and still managed to be frickin' awesome.

Is this what getting old feels like?

17. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Been playing it since it came out last night here in the US. Level 14 warrior and I've been hacking and slashing my way to victory fairly easily on normal mode. Might have to turn it up a notch on my next character. :(

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

do you have to watch the backdoor in this one? or are you swinging all over the place

I don't want an elf all over my backside

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Would you rather a Dwarf, maybe?

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah I think I did a dwarf in the first one.. was accidental in the brothel

he said something about tapping the gold motherload then I walked outside and the elf was asking me inappropriate questions..

Tags: Add Tags