1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dremel shaft thread stripped

Discussion in 'Modding' started by asrock94, 31 Jul 2013.

1. asrock94

asrock94 What's a Dremel?

hi, I have a dremel multipro old version.
    Yesterday I bought the dremel 4486, but this is not mounted on the dremel. assistance dremel said, after viewing the whole, that the thread of my dremel is damaged ... repair cost 30E. because you have to change all the armature.
    does anyone know a traditional method to resume the thread as it is damaged in small part?:confused::confused::confused::confused::waah::waah::waah::waah:

photo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 31 Jul 2013
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Get a tap and die of the right size, run it down the shaft (ooer) and you're sorted. :)

3. asrock94

dremel the thread is not of standard type

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

The Dremel shaft features an almost proprietary thread, it's used on watchmakers drill collets and my old PCB drill collet too. The die you need is .28 (pitch) x 40 (threads per inch). The diameter should be 8mm.

I contacted Dremel customer service about this aeons ago because I was having a custom pinion adaptor made to test the maximum capable RPM of the gearbox in one of my RC cars before spending hundreds of pounds on a brushless motor, electronic speed controller etc.

[edit]

A couple of sources over on CNCZone.com (maybe the fourth time I've used my membership there in the past year! :/) mention 0.279x40 and 0.275x40, but Dremel CS told me 0.28x40 and it worked fine - the machinist who made my adaptor had no problem getting it to thread onto my old Dremel 285 and that was the thread size I put on the technical drawing.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2013
  5. asrock94

thanks, I'll see if I can find a turner in the area:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: