1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dremel shaking quite violently whilst engraving metal

Discussion in 'Modding' started by S1W1, 22 Jun 2011.

1. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

Hi,
    I'm trying to use a Dremel 300 (BTW this is the first time I've used it) with a (diamond tipped) precision engraving bit to engrave a metal case panel. I'm using low RPM (~10,000) but the tool seems to be shaking a lot, and I'm struggling to draw anything like a straight line.
    Does anyone have any tips where I'm going wrong?

Should I be using higher RPM? Or perhaps I'm moving the tool too fast? Perhaps the bit is not inserted correctly?

Thanks in advance,
    SW

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  2. rieh

rieh What's a Dremel?

Try high-speed!

Hey,
    As the dremel manual for my 4000 model states, you should use very high speeds for engraving metal, as close to 35krpm as possible. That should stabilize the bit.

Hope that helped!

mvagusta likes this.
  3. TeeJay88

TeeJay88 Whens the Damn Zombie Apocolypse

Hey S1W1, if this is your first time engraving, your going to run into issues such as or the dremel trying to skate across the surface. You can try an actual but its hard on the hand and it hard to show detail, its mainly a mini jack hammer. Your best bet is to spend a little money and get the hose attachment.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=225-01

With this, you will loose a lot of the heat, weight, and vibration associated with the dremel itself.

[​IMG]
    I did this with the hose attachment, the only thing with the hose is that the shaft can bind in there and you'll have to move the dremel so its best to hang it so your hose is for the most part straight.

mvagusta likes this.
  4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I don't know how the pros do it but I run high-rpm with the flexible attachment and use it gently, like a watercolor brush.

5. Barracuda_00

Barracuda_00 What's a Dremel?

First and foremost, Use the flexishaft, you wont be able to do anything if you try to hold the dremel while trying to engrave anything.

On speeds, i´d go for about 20-30k rpm, you want it to feel like its trying to pull your hand a little (when doing a slow line for example) Try again with the sleeve.

I´ll try to answer all questions you have =)

//Cuda

mvagusta likes this.
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

High RPM, and use a bit of oil for lubrication if required. Use goggles though, because it will splatter.

7. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

Thanks for replying so quickly it's very helpful :), I didn't realize you had to use such a high RPM. I'll try at 20,000-25,000 rpm and see if that does the job.

I don't really want to spend another £20 on the flexible shaft attachement, so I'm going to try without it first.

@TeeJay88 BTW your engraving looks fantastic- it must have taken hours. I'm only trying to do my name in big letters across the side panel :D

mvagusta likes this.
  8. Barracuda_00

Barracuda_00 What's a Dremel?

Oil wont be needed, you dont grind very deep and the minimal amount of friction doesnt create enough heat to warrant any need. And i think it could make it harder if doing it with the full bulk of the machine causing the bit to slide around a bit.

That £20 goes a long way, besides making it a lot easier to make precise lines it also bulks down the machine quite a bit when you need to do other stuff. It´s probably one of the best addons for the dremel.

//Cuda

9. TeeJay88

TeeJay88 Whens the Damn Zombie Apocolypse

To be honest with you it didnt take that long, I do my engravings like I do my drawings, I just sketch them, I honestly think straight lines and lettering are harder, I would use a wooden straight edge.